Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First of all I know this subject has been done to death, and I have done a lot of reading around but no one topic matches my symptoms exactly so I'd rather ask and be sure before parting with a lot of money! I have a 2010 Astra J 1.7CDTi (125) which I believe has the M32 gearbox, 98k miles on the clock.

1) Since a few weeks ago I've had a number of noises occurring at different times and temperatures. First of all when cold there is a steady whine from about 30mph+ with pitch that matches road speed, doesn't change with clutch pressed/released, happens under acceleration/steady speed/coasting and happens in all gears (even neutral). It's very noticeable and remains audible when decelerating all the way down to 5-10mph, and at motorway speeds over the road noise. After 10mins or so of motorway driving once everything has warmed up it gradually quietens down until the sound is barely there, quiet enough that it's only noticeable when decelerating to a stop.

2) When the engine is hot I get a different, but similar sounding whine in addition to the quiet one above. It's still linked to road speed but only occurs in 3rd and 4th, and this time it disappears when I press the clutch. When accelerating/coasting it is a constant whine, and at steady speed it is quite lumpy/intermittent, depending on whether the gearbox is under load - in fact I can balance the throttle somewhere between steady speed and coasting and get it to disappear (I assume when the gearbox is under no load). I've watched a few videos of the common M32 bearing issue and it sounds like the problem most people are having with 5th/6th gears. I get a <5mm movement of the gearstick in 1st, 2nd and 6th but seemingly none in 3rd or 4th which are the problem gears.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the causes/cures for these issue(s), and the best place to get it fixed around the London/South East area.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,901 Posts
i would put my money on the gearbox, any whine/movement is a sign of the bearings going, best to get the bearing replaced asap, im sure someone on here from london way will help you out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Got my bearings replaced this week and it's completely solved the problem. Seems like there are a few different symptoms of the impending M32 failure (3rd/4th or 1/2/5/6th, etc.) but the remedy is usually the same!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Got my bearings replaced this week and it's completely solved the problem. Seems like there are a few different symptoms of the impending M32 failure (3rd/4th or 1/2/5/6th, etc.) but the remedy is usually the same!
Hi
How much did it cost and how long was your car in dock ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
How much did it cost and how long was your car in dock ?
Took it to Warren G, can't recommend enough. Very speedy it was done in about 3 hours drive-in drive-out! Cost was £599. By the sound of the gearbox going in I thought it was seriously on its last legs, but pleasantly surprised to find that just the bearing change fixed it. Saved me ~£400-500 compared to buying and fitting a reconditioned gearbox!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Took it to Warren G, can't recommend enough. Very speedy it was done in about 3 hours drive-in drive-out! Cost was £599. By the sound of the gearbox going in I thought it was seriously on its last legs, but pleasantly surprised to find that just the bearing change fixed it. Saved me ~£400-500 compared to buying and fitting a reconditioned gearbox!
Thanks for the reply, only reason I ask is my son in law's gearbox has just gone on his 2 litre insignia and I believe it is also the M32 box. He is up in Scotland in quite a remote place and is limited for garages to do the work.
Have they replaced the bearings on your gearbox without removing it from the car, if that is possible?
I watched an M32 diagnostic video on you tube and it seemed to suggest the above was possible for certain bearings,l may have misunderstood the vague explanation with the video.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply, only reason I ask is my son in law's gearbox has just gone on his 2 litre insignia and I believe it is also the M32 box. He is up in Scotland in quite a remote place and is limited for garages to do the work.
Have they replaced the bearings on your gearbox without removing it from the car, if that is possible?
I watched an M32 diagnostic video on you tube and it seemed to suggest the above was possible for certain bearings,l may have misunderstood the vague explanation with the video.
I didn't watch the whole repair. I know that he inspected the inside of the gearbox casing for damage so that would lead me to assume it was taken off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts