Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been searching the internet to see if anyone else has this problem with their car as I've been told its a common problem on the Astra 1.6's?

My Astra J 1.6 has been in the garage today for some none related work completing and whilst it was in there they noted that it isn't idling properly. When the bonnet is lifted you can hear a slight whistling coming from the back of the rocker cover on the engine. All the pipes have been checked and there are no holes/cracks in them. Also when you try to remove the oil cap there is a vacuum affect and you can't remove it without force. Once it's removed the idling gets worse and is now bringing an error code up on the car which it didn't have a few days ago. The mechanic mentioned that it is a common problem on the Astra 1.6's however I am struggling to find anything relating to this online. I've been told it will need a new rocker hood and the rubber seals inside this to rectify the issue.

Is anyone else aware of this at all? If so, is it an expensive job to replace this as the garage I took it to couldn't give me an idea of cost at the moment as they will have to try source a part and price.

Many thanks
Steph :)

·
4,591 Posts
Does it have a rubber circle at the back under the plastic clip on lid? Looks like a diaphragm of sorts. It's a PCV valve which is quite prone to failure on the Chevrolet Cruze models in the US which share the 1.4/1.6 engines. A split in that means a new rocker cover. It can be diagnosed by covering it while idling. No air should pass through it so if you can feel air coming out it's time for a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
15,078 Posts
I would say it's definitely the cover - the breather valve in it breaks up and doesn't work properly hence the pressurisation you hear with the whistling and the suck at the filler cap.

It's a common cover for all the 1.6 and 1.8 VVT engines whatever car they're fitted in.

They're fairly pricey though, ~£250 from memory.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for this, yes it is the diaphragm that has gone/going on it. It is running pretty terrible at the moment.

The mechanic I have used has messaged me today and has actually managed to find one for me a lot cheaper than the price listed above and includes a 2 yr warranty so I'm guessing that's not too bad. I tried to remove the filler cap for the oil and physically can't do it whilst the car is running, the pressure behind it is very high so looks like it's time for a new one. I'd never heard of the issue before though :-/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts