Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the above model of Astra as well as my 2.0 and have been happy enough with it however there are a few things that are starting to concern me.

About a two weeks ago Code 35 message appeared in the information display beside the speedo, this according to the owners manual this tells me to replace the battery in the radio remote control, not really an issue but I don't have one and don't think there should be one for the radio. A friend of mine stated it might relate to the car key battery so it was replaced and it hasn't come on again.

Yesterday I was using the car and Code 89 message appeared in the information display beside the speedo, I consulted the owners handbook and this code does not feature at all.

Does anyone on here have any ideas or do I have to book the car into a dealer to get it on the diagnostic machine?

Thanks

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Is your fan running? Code 89 is often triggered by a dodgy thermostat on the 1.6 but is just a service vehicle soon message

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@MollyGoogle, Thanks for the info, I use the car as a driving school car and it was just serviced the week prior but not at a vauxhall dealer, I had just driven away from my house and to be honest once the 89 code appeared I stopped checked the handbook and reset the display, the car symbol with the spanner inside it did appear in the top left corner of the display too so the service aspect makes sense. I left with the engine running so the fan was running.

So do you suggest a vauxhall dealer to have this reset or can it be done at a non dealer?

·
Registered
433 Posts
As MollyGoogle has said both code 89 and car symbol with spanner inside mean "Service Vehicle Soon" (SVS). The car has detected a fault and a fault code/s has been stored. It will be a non emergency fault but needs to be taken to a garage to have the fault code read and appropriate repairs made (this is the service bit). Most garages have the ability to read fault codes and there are various readers available for home use.
Again as MollyGoogle has stated the 1.6L Petrol has a history of a faulty thermostat housing that is detected and gives a code 89/SVS message. An additional indication, that it may be a faulty thermostat housing, is that the radiator fan runs continuously. The last and best clue would be code P0597, when read by a code reader, is present.
So your vehicle needs to be diagnosed and repaired, the most likely fault (educated guess) is a faulty thermostat housing that needs to be replaced. I'm sure any garage/mechanic would be capable of this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As MollyGoogle has said both code 89 and car symbol with spanner inside mean "Service Vehicle Soon" (SVS). The car has detected a fault and a fault code/s has been stored. It will be a non emergency fault but needs to be taken to a garage to have the fault code read and appropriate repairs made (this is the service bit). Most garages have the ability to read fault codes and there are various readers available for home use.
Again as MollyGoogle has stated the 1.6L Petrol has a history of a faulty thermostat housing that is detected and gives a code 89/SVS message. An additional indication, that it may be a faulty thermostat housing, is that the radiator fan runs continuously. The last and best clue would be code P0597, when read by a code reader, is present.
So your vehicle needs to be diagnosed and repaired, the most likely fault (educated guess) is a faulty thermostat housing that needs to be replaced. I'm sure any garage/mechanic would be capable of this.
An update on this confirms that it appears to be the thermostat housing, diagnostics showed fault code 89 along with code P0597, as has been mentioned above.

As this appears to be a known common fault has this been subject to a recall by Vauxhall?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I'm afraid there is no recall. Are you covered by any warranty?
No unfortunately not, manufacturers warranty expired in 2015. I appreciate the help and advice from you guys, a great forum and with the collective knowledge makes it worthwhile being a member here.

·
3,890 Posts
Luckily the thermostat is not a major job. It can be done by a competent DIYer, but also garage labour shouldn't be too much as it's a fairly quick job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts