Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the power steering fluid be flushed on the Astra H? I ask as from time to time the steering is a bit heavy when parking and I notice that the system voltage goes down as well. PAS fluid level is fine and tyres at the right pressure. I was looking at this stuff on eBay here and wondered what the procedure would be to flush it. Or is it a case of using a turkey baster to take the existing fluid out and putting new stuff in? Pentosin CHF 202.

Has anyone done this or had any experience with the eBay stuff (Sea Foam Hydra Trans Tune).

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Never known the steering to need flushed , the usual issue for not by steering is the strut bearings, or faulty rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
It may just be a dodgy battery unable to supply enough amps when the steering is on a lock,
they do need up to 75 amps on full lock.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery is just over 2 years old, it's a Lion 100, 70A, 620CCA. The steering is fine when first started but after a while, when parking, it's not as light as it should be. The alternator is also 2 years old and it's an uprated 110A.

About the Sea Foam Hydra Trans Tune, how would you go about using it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The battery is just over 2 years old, it's a Lion 100, 70A, 620CCA. The steering is fine when first started but after a while, when parking, it's not as light as it should be. The alternator is also 2 years old and it's an uprated 110A.

About the Sea Foam Hydra Trans Tune, how would you go about using it?

Thanks.
None of which is proof it's all ok and up to spec,
do you have any way of checking the ehps live data ?
it may be an issue where it's drawing too many amps for a variety of reasons,
a flush may help and try it if you want but it could just as easily be a motor fault or strut bearings as per @Davo suggestion

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a TECH2 so may be able to get live data through that. I know the white bottle PS pumps are common failures but would like to eliminate any other factors first. I will investigate further this weekend and get back on the findings.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TECH2 shows that the pump at idle was drawing 6A. When turning the wheel, I saw a max of 55A and the voltage dropped to 13.5V. When straight ahead again, it was back to 14.2V and 6A. I will be trying the flush at some point, when I figure out how I'll do it. Code index was 002.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now have all the stuff I need to try the flush (had to wait a suction pump) but does anyone know if you can do any work on your car on the street during these coronovirus 'lock down' rules?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts