Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Its that time in the cars life to change the timing belt :confused:. Looking to change the timing belt and water pump on my astra H vxr. Was going to buy the kit directly from vauxhall but noticed RnD motorsport are selling what they call an uprated kit on their website. I believe the difference is metal idle roller rather than the plastic ones supplied by vauxhall. This kit is more expensive so just wondering if anyone on here has used this kit and would there be any point in spending the extra money.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated (Y)

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
If the standard one has lasted this long without an issue it would suggest that you don't need the uprated one (Y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a good point, make a lot of sense. Sometimes i just like to be over cautious and I have never bought anything from RnD before

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've heard of some people getting the timing belt kit from Vauxhall, but not the water pump?

Apparently it is better to get one with steel impellers from elsewhere :shrug:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
When I had my water pump and cambelt done with ****** at his garage, he put in the uprated metal rollers for me

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think for peace of mind I might go for metal rollers too, didn't know that about the water pumps though

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was definitely going to, changing the thermostat as well while I'm at it, to a cool running 82 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
The metal rollers are more for those that track the car where the plastic ones can fail over time with the heat of the engine.

As for the pump get the valeo one, costs a few quid more than the GM one but has the metal impeller blades, think RnD sell them as well

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only noticed one on their site but will definitely check, was hoping to track the car next year so will probably buy the kit from RnD

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I believe the GM z20leh kit does have metal rollers, the similar z20let kit, (incidentally can only be bought in separate components are plastic, both kits are compatible

TBH I don't think it makes a lot of difference, The water pump replacemet is a MUST

B

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I had my forged build done I used gm belt kit and pump, ive not had any problems and the car often sees 7500 rpm
Was looking to get the engine forged after xmas, where did you have yours done and roughly how much was it?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Was looking to get the engine forged after xmas, where did you have yours done and roughly how much was it?

Its hard to say an exact price as mates rates for labour in my case, I purchased all of the parts then a friends garage did the work, I spent around 2k in parts alone but that did include lots of genuine parts and uprated cams. Nwj autocare in Bredhurst, kent, did the work neil there is a good friend of mine who looks after many performance cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its hard to say an exact price as mates rates for labour in my case, I purchased all of the parts then a friends garage did the work, I spent around 2k in parts alone but that did include lots of genuine parts and uprated cams. Nwj autocare in Bredhurst, kent, did the work neil there is a good friend of mine who looks after many performance cars.
A lot done on yours then MASH, I got the timing kit, uprated valve springs, stem seals with retainers and thought if the engine is getting stripped down may as well change the con rods. Will have to fit cams at a later date due to dollar

·
Registered
190 Posts
A lot done on yours then MASH, I got the timing kit, uprated valve springs, stem seals with retainers and thought if the engine is getting stripped down may as well change the con rods. Will have to fit cams at a later date due to dollar

Yeah I went to town on it :D, I'd suggest fitting new piston rings to be on the safe side, my one had the rebuild done at 40k and I istill did the rings for piece of mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts