Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post. I have recently got an Astra H VXR which has the 18" snowflake alloys.

I don't like the fact that it doesn't come with a spare wheel, so I'm looking for the easiest solution. From what I've read on here that means getting hold of a 17" alloy from a Vectra. My question is, what tyre size do I need for a suitable spare? I have 225/40/18s on the VXR, so will a 225/45/17 be suitable? Also, will this fit into the wheel well okay?

Thanks in advance

·
15,089 Posts
Any full size wheel will raise the boot floor, the well is only made for a space saver. If you can find a SRi wheel second hand they came in 17 (as standard) and would have had 225/45/17 tyres.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. And just to make sure, would a 225/45/17 be suitable/legal for use as a spare?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Just get a standard H space saver. I use the one out of my mrs’ car when we go away. If you get a flat it will only fit on the rear because of the brake size so you may have to shuffle a few around. But given it’s designed to fit in the wheel well, there’s no issues with raising the floor etc...
Hers is an Sri with the 18” wheels, same size tyres as the vxr.

·
15,089 Posts
^^^ Received wisdom is to always use a space saver on the rear axle anyway as it affects steering/handling less there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't really want the faff of having to shuffle wheels around, but the raised boot floor would annoy me more so space saver it is. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts