Astra Owners Network banner

Astra H tricks / gadgets list.

178K views 437 replies 120 participants last post by  Mechanic 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought it'd be a good idea to have a list of the tricks / gadgets that the Astra's have.

Audio tricks...

Muting sound - If you press the volume control and hold it for a few seconds the radio will Mute. If the station you are tuned into has traffic info and the radio is set for traffic info, the next time traffic information is broadcast it will turn the radio back on. Unfortunately it does not switch back to mute unless done manually. This works on my basic CD30.

Wiper tricks...

Single wiper swipe (when you've got a rainsensor) - When there's a mist on the window that the sensor doesn't detect, pull the windscreen wiper handle towards you, just like you're about to spray your windows. Just briefly is enough to let the wipers wipe your window for one strike and not spraying your window.

Intermittent wiper speed - You can set how fast the intermittent wipe goes by tapping down once on the stalk, then tapping it up once - the gap you leave between the down and up taps determines the speed of the intermittent wipe if the standard intermittent speed is too slow or fast.

Reversing rear window auto wiper - With the front wipers on, engaging reverse activates the rear wiper.

Centring wipers - Within 4 seconds of switching off the engine (with the key in the starter switch) push the wiper stalk downward then release the stalk as soon as the wiper blades are vertical..........this will make it so the wipers will stay in the middle of the screen.

Window Tricks...

Open / closing electric windows from the key fob - Simply hold down the open / close button to open / close the windows.

Re-cativating electric windows - If you have battery off for any length of time, the one shot elec windows option will not work, operate windows up and hold switch for a few seconds, then down and hold switch for a few seconds, job done.

Windows working after keys removed - When you pull up and have the windows open, if you take the keys out the ignition, the windows will continue to work until you open the drivers door. After the drivers door has been opened the window buttons won't work.

Demisting windows - When the car is steamed up and windows need de-misting. direct you heating onto the windscreen and also turn on your Air-con. Nothing clears the window half as quick as the aircon. Plus you'll find all the windows de-mist not just the windscreen.

Trip Computer...

Hold down BC for 9 seconds until it beeps, then using the settings button you can scroll through the various screens. This can be the other way round on some stereo models like the cd70, just hold the settings button for the 9 seconds then use the bc to scroll.

Screen showing Sens. with V: and T: - Sens. = ?, V: = speed in kph, T: - engine temperature.

Resetting the trip computer - Press and hold the steering wheel trip control button (scroller), after a few seconds this will reset the trip computer incl. average mpg's etc etc.

Lights tricks...

Parking lights - just flick indicator stalk when engine is off and keys are out.

Follow me home lights - Parked up at night, key out of ignition, drivers door open, flick the head lights and they'll light up along with the rear lights for 30 seconds.

Lite Touch Indicator Activation - Your indicator will self cancel after 3 flashes if you lightly touch it for your desired direction. Ideal for use when exiting a slip road or mini roundabout etc so your indicator isn't still flashing waiting for you turn and then level up.

Cancelling indicator - If you're indicating right (to join a motorway from a slip road for example), you can tap the indicator up (right) again to cancel it once you've joined, and vise versa.

Misc...

Re-activating fob key after signal loss or battery change - Insert the key and turn to position 2 then hold the lock button to re-program. Same applies when changing battery in key fob.

Car re-locking itself - When you unlock the car but don't open the doors, the car will lock itself after five minutes.

Turning off traction control - hold down sports button for 3 seconds. TC light will show on dash.

Auto locking - On some models (doesnt work on all) if you hold the door lock button for a few seconds until it beeps this will enable auto door locking above 5mph.

Display any fault codes - Press accelerator and brake pedal, then turn the ignition to position 2 (do not start the engine) any stored codes will be displayed in mileage display.

Disable Alarm Interior and Tilt Sensors -

On the roof near the map lights you will a button that looks like a power on button (i)
Close the tailgate and bonnet.
Press the (i) button in the roof console.
The door lock LED will flash
Close the doors & lock.
LED flashes ubtil the system is switched off.
On Astra Twin Top passenger compartment monitoring is deactivated if roof is open to prevent false alarms.

Battery Discharge Protection - To prevent the battery from becoming discharged, the courtesy light, reading lights, luggage compartment lighting and glove compartment lighting switch off automatically 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off.

Turning traction control off - hold down the sports button until it beeps and the tc light shows on the dash. Pressing the button again (de-activating sport) will turn tc back on.

Cruise Control

Altering speed - Once you have locked-in your speed you can increase your speed by 2mph each time you press the top button on the CC-stalk, and if you have to brake or change gear for some reason, you can go back to the previous locked-in speed by pressing the bottom button on the cc-stalk, and it will automatically increase/decrease your speed without having to press the accel/brake pedle.

It will NOT go back to your origional speed (by pressing the bottom button) if you are in a different gear.

Top button = Set speed + activate CC AND increase speed once active.

Bottom button = Resume previous speed + activate AND decrease speed once active (note if you've not set a speed yet cos you've just started the car up, this will set the speed to what your doing as will the top, it clears speed at ignition off every time for safety.)

Back button = deactivate

also note, your CC will not turn on if you haven't used the brake pedal, so if you start up and drive straight off forwards, without having to brake, get to speed then try to use cc it wont work, if you tap the brake pedal, cc will then work. So worth getting into the habit of starting up and pressing the break pedal.

also note, if you push the top/bottom button and release your speed will change by about 1.5mph without DTUK box, and about 2.5mph with DTUK at about 200bhp (remapped cars should still do about 1.5mph), If you push and hold it will slow/speed up till you release the button.

If people can add them up and I'll update the list. (Y)

See less See more
#5 ·
I'll try and add these to each one when people can confirm mate. ;)

Follow me home lighting requires drivers door open too Pete :thumbs:
Sorted. (Y)

Trick - If you have battery off for any length of time, the one shot elec windows option will not work, operate windows up and hold switch for a few seconds, then down and hold switch for a few seconds, job done and good idea this Pete :thumbs:
Added. (Y)

Well figured each time someone posts "look what I found out about my Astra" there are countless members who weren't aware of it either.

#10 ·
Partly the reason I started this thread. ;)

Correct me if i'm wrong on this but i think that if your key loses the signal for lock and unlock then you insert the key and turn to position 2 then hold the lock button to re-program ??? same applies when changing battery in key fob ?
I'll add it, can be revised if need be. (Y)

When you unlock the car but don't open the doors, the car will lock itself after five minutes. Automatically! Just to prevent the car stays open when you don't want it to be.

When you've got a rainsensor, and there's a mist on the window that the sensor doesn't detect, pull the windscreenwiper handle towards you, just like you're about to spray your windows. Just briefly is enough to let the wipers wipe your window for one strike and not spraying your window.
Added. (Y)

#8 ·
When you unlock the car but don't open the doors, the car will lock itself after five minutes. Automatically! Just to prevent the car stays open when you don't want it to be.

When you've got a rainsensor, and there's a mist on the window that the sensor doesn't detect, pull the windscreenwiper handle towards you, just like you're about to spray your windows. Just briefly is enough to let the wipers wipe your window for one strike and not spraying your window.

#12 ·
you can set how fast the intermittent wipe goes by tapping down once on the stalk, then tapping it up once - the gap you leave between the down and up taps determines the speed of the intermittent wipe if the standard intermittent speed is too slow or fast.

#28 ·
press accel and brake pedal, then turn the key to power....will display fault codes

#30 ·
could also add parking lights :)

jus flick indicator stalk when engine is off and keys are out :thumbs:

its asll the little things we tend to forget :lol:

#38 ·
i believe the function was taken away cos the motors were believed to end up having a shorter life span