Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Noticed a large number of "what suspension? What will look best?" type threads so I'm going to attempt to sum whats available in here.

If you have a question about suspension that isn't covered then post in here...any useless or random questions will be ruthlessly swizzled!!

Here we go.

3 door and 5 door suspension set ups are similar, but make sure you get the correct springs for your engine size. ie, dont buy a setup for a VXR or diesel if you have a 1.4-1.8 as the smaller engines are light so won't compress the spring enough. This will result in the car not being as low as claimed, and being super stiff...plus the handling will be adversly effected.

Start with Springs.

Four Main options here:

1. Eibach Pro Kit.

Eibach are a quality brand and these springs are designed for the modder who doesn't want the car much lower but wants the car to handle better.

They lower the car ~30mm

eg.

3 door

5 Door

Eiback also do a Sportline Kit that has the same handling benefits but has the added benefits of being lower ~50/30. With it being lower the ride is stiffened up slightly.

3 Door

5 Door

VXR's (and the 1.9 derv) also have the choice of DAP R Springs (available from DAP Performance)

Lower the car evenly all round, ~50mm, ride is marginally more harsh but cornering and turn in is much better.

VXR Suspension

Can be fitted to all models but the smaller engines will not lower as much and be stiffer than expected. Can be fitted to 2.0T and derv

eg

Other options...

Coilovers - Eibach, FK and KW all do kits

Advantages here include adjustable height, and with some kit, adjustable dampening. Means you can experiment and have the car set up to handle as you want. All this comes at a higher cost

eg.

Remember to have you cars tracking sorted after fitting any new suspension parts. Failure to do so causes uneven tyre wear.

Older models benefit from Eibach Camber bolts being fitted, but i've been assured that the Astra H doesn't require these...they narrower than standard bolts and the chances of finding a garage that will have them adjusted perfectly first go is minimal.

H&R also do springs but i can't find any pics - they claim 30mm drop but apparently its more like 20mm

All the above can be purchased through the main Vauxhall tuners, as listed on this site :D Pick the option that you think suits you best, and have a look on the site sponsors web pages to find prices etc.

Many thanks to all the people who "donated" pics....without knowing it lol

Andy

·
aka The Historian, "i love an old thread"
15,116 Posts
good thread mate, will help a lot of people :thumbs:

only thing i dont agree on is

"Lower the car evenly all round, ~50mm, ride is marginally more harsh but cornering and turn in is much better."

the rear should sit higher as cornering performance is greater......if its lower, the performance is reduced....but obviously that depends on how low the rear is.......in this case (50mm) i would believe that to be too low :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good thread mate, will help a lot of people :thumbs:

only thing i dont agree on is

"Lower the car evenly all round, ~50mm, ride is marginally more harsh but cornering and turn in is much better."

the rear should sit higher as cornering performance is greater......if its lower, the performance is reduced....but obviously that depends on how low the rear is.......in this case (50mm) i would believe that to be too low :thumbs:
the rear sits evenly with the front. I have these springs and i'm only quoting my experience of them. Added to that is the fact DAP use these on their track cars, so they mustn't be that bad!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Astra H 5 door - Lowering the front?!?!?

Hi

i was thinking of lowering my car, its a 5 door xp SXI....

I think if i lower just the front it will look nice, giving it a nose down mean effect.

What do you lot think? and how will the handling be effected?

I surpose i could just try it, and if i dont like it add some springs to the back. Also could any post pics of their cars lowered in general.

CHEERS(Y)

·
15,116 Posts
it would put too much strain on the rear (standard) and front (lowering) springs :(

not to mention may mess up your shocks etc :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
wot if

what if i lower the back a little? and the front more? :confused: im sure i seen cars with the front end sticking down, unless they modifed the whole springs and susp etc

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it would put too much strain on the rear (standard) and front (lowering) springs :(

not to mention may mess up your shocks etc :(
How so??

handling characteristics will be messed up as the front will be stiffer than the back causing the car to do all sorts of wonderful things under cornering and breaking.

ps....merging this with the suspension thread.

·
A.O.N - Club Member (Andy)
426 Posts
Personally I Think It Would Look A **** Lowered In That Way M8 !!!

THIS WAS A REPLY TO POST 6 BY THE WAY

·
Registered
275 Posts
Suspension IMHO as a job to do, wot that job is to be is up to the owner/driver. If you want outright performance for fast road /track there are no compremises, money WELL spent will make a massive difference. If its a combo of looks and an improvement then your into affordable mods such as Eibach/spax etc. If you have any real concerns regarding your set up I can recomend a freind called Russ form Mick Gardener Racing. He is a major Ollins agent and suspension wizard working in all aspects of motorsport and road applications, based in Barnsley. cheersTerry

·
15,116 Posts
It might give you the desired look but it will handle like a drunken pig mate. weh heh
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

what if i lower the back a little? and the front more? :confused: im sure i seen cars with the front end sticking down, unless they modifed the whole springs and susp etc
your right :thumbs:

such as eibach sportsline springs :thumbs:

but i dont think youd want to put modified springs on the front and leave it bog standard on the rear :sus:

How so??

handling characteristics will be messed up as the front will be stiffer than the back causing the car to do all sorts of wonderful things under cornering and breaking.

ps....merging this with the suspension thread.
becauset he front will be lower, more pressure will be put on the springs than originally intended meaning even more pressure on the standard shocks ....overtime this could lead to some problems :thumbs: <-------but i could be wrong this time, but dont think i am :lol:

would deffo look more mean, but from a side angle...may look odd and from the rear...would look standard

but your right, cornering would be better (as i hav posted above, you dont want the rear too low :thumbs: but you also dont want it too high/soft ;)....in this case it very well coul be....:sus:)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan - I would debate the fact that more pressure will be put on the front springs...its hard to say really.

but having different tensions will make the car handle really bad. ie, when cornering the rear will compress more than the front.

·
Registered
42 Posts
great thread just one quickie...

The standard springs on the 1.8 SRI are allready 15/20 mm lower then the standard Astra H . So if you then fitted new springs with say a 35 mm drop would you actualy only go another 15/20mm lower ?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
great thread just one quickie...

The standard springs on the 1.8 SRI are allready 15/20 mm lower then the standard Astra H . So if you then fitted new springs with say a 35 mm drop would you actualy only go another 15/20mm lower ?

No mate, i think spring companies like Eibach will use a top end spec car when testing springs. Take my SRi like you say its already lower than a base model, i bought Eibach pro and on the box it says "lowers upto 40mm" and thats what it did, 40mm on the fron and 30mm on rear. If you were to fit the same springs to a lower spec model then the ride height of both cars would be the same after lowering!

·
15,116 Posts
Dan - I would debate the fact that more pressure will be put on the front springs...its hard to say really.

but having different tensions will make the car handle really bad. ie, when cornering the rear will compress more than the front.
lowering the rear will make corners easier to take BUT will slow the cornering speed (too much downforce).....however, if you leave the rear slightly higher, there will be less downforce, therefore faster cornerong...only problem with this is that your more likely to fishtale lol

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
by slower and faster cornering, how slow and or fast do you mean because i have gone round some tight corners chicanes ect at between 50 - 70 mph and that was on the standard springs, 1,8 sri. fishtaling not fun tho, more like **** scary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there, i have a sport hatch with 18inch alloys, have been looking at the Eibach Pro Kit but was wondering if anyone knows if the alloys will rub if i lowering it this much

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
hi there, i have a sport hatch with 18inch alloys, have been looking at the Eibach Pro Kit but was wondering if anyone knows if the alloys will rub if i lowering it this much

no, there won't be a problem - lots of people here run that set up

andy - how much are the DAP springs fitted, and would new shocks be required to cope with a 50mm drop?

1 - 20 of 422 Posts