Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I've been driving my new astra for about 2 weeks now, I fitted a new stereo today and the gear lever was pushed into 2nd so that we could fit it.

I went back out there to go to the shops & turned the ignition to start the engine. Then nothing, there was a slight click noise once, and nothing happened.

Any ideas what this could be? I've tried putting it into 1st and pushing it with some neighbours, didn't work either.

Tbh, not really sure what I'm doing, so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Try a charged battery or jump start

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
That sounds like the battery is flat and therefore not giving the starter motor enough power making it click.

As Matty says, try jump starting it (although you need to be careful not to spike the sensitive ECU's on the Astra) or charging the battery.

May be worth checking that the stereo is wired up correctly in case it has drained the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stereo still turns on & all dashboard lights come on when the key is turned in the ignition, so not sure if it would be the battery? Someone mentioned to me it could be that I've done the immobiliser? Going to try the battery anyway & will let you all know, may take a quick video just so I can explain what's happening a little more clearly and so that you can clearly hear the noises.

·
Registered
316 Posts
When I put my key I'm and turned the dash flickered and I got a clicking noise, have you tried removing the radio and trying to start??

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
The stereo still turns on & all dashboard lights come on when the key is turned in the ignition, so not sure if it would be the battery? Someone mentioned to me it could be that I've done the immobiliser? Going to try the battery anyway & will let you all know, may take a quick video just so I can explain what's happening a little more clearly and so that you can clearly hear the noises.
Immobiliser won't let it get that far.

The dash lights will show up, but the starter motor takes a LOT of power to start. A lot more than the dash lights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
bump start in 2nd, also a cold diesel engine is very hard to bump. sounds like flat battery, either take it off and charge it overnight or jump start of another car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I changed the battery & it instantly started working, I had the original battery which was over 7 years old so it's completley dead now. I noticed my lights are also a lot brighter :_

1 - 10 of 10 Posts