Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased a 1.6 sxi, the car is a 55 plate which now has 32K on the clock. 23K when purchased. The car was £6,700 including fees + I took out the extra warrenty with Evans Halshaw - I thought this would be a good idea as I prevoiusly owned a Nissan with a failed timing chain.

I am now beginning to wonder about the Astra, so far its not been too bad, Had the dreaded clutch judder, I plan to keep the car for at least the next 3 years. Well basically I need to becuase of the finance on it.

I read alot of stuff on the forums about the EGR valves and some posts about the gearbox failing, even though I have thier warrenty I am wondering what the running costs are like for mainteniance. I would assume that the gearbox would be covered by their warrenty. Reading some of the posts has got me alittle scared.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was about to make a thread on this. I'm coming from a Honda and wanted to make sure Astra H's are reliable before i get one ;)

Guess i'll keep an eye on this thread (a)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had mine since Nov 08,it's a 1.6 club on a 06 plate and i've had no problems at all fella.Had it's M.O.T in June and sailed through,although i do have a friend with a Life on a 56 plate that's just had to take hers back to VX.It would randomly cut out on her,even when she wasn't moving.VX told her they just had to reprogramme something and now it's just the waiting game to see if it's good.Other than her,i've heard no horror stories from other friends with them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can't say my experience has been too great..

Failed handbrake ratchet, rolling down a slope into a brand new Cayenne
Various CIM problems affecting starting
Failed steering joint
On it's third alternator
Noisy engine sounds like it's on it's way out

I've had it thirteen months, it's a 2005 1.7 CDTI 100 SRI

Thing is, I can't think of another car I'd rather have for similar money and size - everything else looks boring in comparison and when the Astra is going, it'd a good drive.

Focus, ugly
Mazda 3, uglier
French cars... forget it
Japanese cars... I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a blunt instrument
Golf, boring unless you can run to the GTI
Audi, see Golf
BMW 1 series, too expensive
Leon, hmm, so so
Skoda. NO WAY
Fiat Bravo, maybe. But I complain about the reliability of a VX!

On the other hand, my bicycle is pretty reliable..

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Ive had my 2006 Astra 1.8 since Nov08 and i it had 14k, now it has 29k and no problems. *touch wood* mine was a ex motobility car sho had full service history.

it all depends on who had the car before and if they looked after it

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
I can't complain about mine at all,
The only thing thats gone wrong was the CAT needed replacing (all done under warrenty) with a smile from VX,
Owned from new, bought in March 08 and 25k later its all going strong

·
Registered
760 Posts
10,000 miles for me in my H, now at 28k on the clock, other than routine maintenance its never missed a beat.

Taking it to the ring in a few weeks time and I have no worries about it getting me there ok, then giving me a bit of a buzz on the track! (Until sabine in a transit zooms past) :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine's just recently had it's second birthday, and the only thing that I've had go wrong with it was the passenger seatbelt not retracting properly (fixed under warranty) and just about to have the CIM replaced under warranty due to the "Lights on and no steering wheel controls" problem.

Mechanically, there's been absolutely nothing wrong with it, touch wood, and I think the 1.8s have a really good record on the whole.

·
Registered
39 Posts
had mine just over a year,abs unit replaced,traction control unit replaced and a new cim ,only done 24500 miles and just over 3 yr old .

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
My 4yr old has given me no probs at all with 62k on the clock. Its about time i had a bit of luck with cars though.

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
EGR valves are only a problem you need to worry about on a diesel.

Aside from that there's only two real weak points: the CIM unit and the DMF. The CIM units are expensive from Vauxhall, but uncoded units can be picked up from £50-75 (I have one for sale at the moment), and despite high labour times quoted by Vauxhall they don't take long to replace. In fact a clever auto-electrician I was put in touch with can fix the common problem, as he did this with my Astra and his Corsa.

The DMF is something that should be covered under warranty, and in reality they aren't hugely common problems.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Mines ex mobility 06 Reg and now on 41k (36 when bought 5 months ago)

Not had a problem touch wood, all makes are the same, had a Focus and a Renault before this which people complain just as much about but it is just your luck at times, the Megane cost me a few quid on repairs over the years although it never actually broke down mind, problem was it was a rarer 2.0IDE coupe and parts were a pain to get and expensive so it had to go, Focus very reliable but almost boringly so which is why I picked the astra up after having that for a year only.

Im quite confident as my Brother has an Astra G with over 100k on it and it still drives fine so I know the engine can last which would be my main worry.

BTW Whats a DMF?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheers for the replies.

reading this makes me feel better. With my prevoius car i didnt have much luck. I owned a Nissan Almera before, at 53K it started to misfire, the garage ran me around, and were basically guessing at parts however after closer inpection it was the timing chain. With that being a 2001, me and my wife moved on to the Astra.

Not done too car, the car has been nice to drive apart from that I find the gearbox alittle 'clunky' feels like it needs more work than a japanese gearbox, but this is a easy tradeoff if the car will stay mechanically sound. The only real issues I had is with Evans Halshaw as I did have problems with starting (Key not unlocking the CIM) They updates the firmware and said it wasnt covered under warrenty :confused: Nice ! (Car in Evans Halshaw warreny). Its a 1.6 Sxi.

After the initial bad expierence with thier warrenty I was alittle concered that if anything 'Major' went, they try and wriiggle out of it. I am beginning to question if the £400 worth of extended warrenty is worth it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the coil pack fgo on mine at 45,000 miles. The AA man said its quite common across all makes/models not just Vaux and he carries lots of spares.

I had the clutch done because of a little judder but more to be sure because it can be changed for free.

Other than that, nothing. Touch wood. 3 years old yesterday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts