Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been looking through the threads and I think ive got a pretty good idea how this can be done. But Before I start I was hoping someone could confirm im doing it right

Is this the oil filter housing (to the bottom left of the fuel filter housing)???

Is this the sump plug on the right hand side mid picture at a 45 degree angle???

Couldnt find any pictures on the other threads so I wanted to make sure before I unscrew things!

Also Kwik-Fit is charging me £44.95 for and oil and filter change all in with Mobil One fully synthetic oil and to buy the oil and filter will cost me £35-40 would I be safer going to them or should I save the £5-10 and have the satisfaction of doing it my self?

Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi

I have been looking through the threads and I think ive got a pretty good idea how this can be done. But Before I start I was hoping someone could confirm im doing it right

Is this the oil filter housing (to the bottom left of the fuel filter housing)???

Is this the sump plug on the right hand side mid picture at a 45 degree angle???

Couldnt find any pictures on the other threads so I wanted to make sure before I unscrew things!

Also Kwik-Fit is charging me £44.95 for and oil and filter change all in with Mobil One fully synthetic oil and to buy the oil and filter will cost me £35-40 would I be safer going to them or should I save the £5-10 and have the satisfaction of doing it my self?

Thanks

You're correct in your pictures, i did mine 2 weeks ago. I have the sump guard so mine was a bit more awkward. I'd do it for the experience and the satisfaction that i did something myself. Honestly though, its so easy to do.

Also i rarely trust my car with a mechanic i don't know/trust.

Its up to you but i wouldn't choose kwik sh**

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I think I'll give it a go... Don't have a torq wrench though to tighten them back up properly! Any ideas on where to get a cheap one or is it necessary will a normal wrench do the job?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
675 Posts
For the oil filter i just used a normal wrench, barely tightened as the torque setting is so low anyway. As for the sump plug, didn't have a clue what torque setting was required so just made sure it was tight

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What oil should I be buying? 5w30, 5w40, 10w40? I've seen different things on different threads... Also does it matter what brand I use? Surely the are all of the same standard

How much oil is needed??

·
Registered
675 Posts
Mine was 10W40 holding 4.5litres
What car have you got?

Check your owners manual for amount it holds (Y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts