Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommended a decent induction kit for astra h 1.8 sri? Was looking at getting a k&n typhoon but not sue :s.... Want a little grunt to the car and better response, any ideas??? Also would it effect the sport mode on the car?

·
A.O.N. - Full Member
1,381 Posts
Hello there, if I was you I would either get a replacement k&n pannel filter or enclosed induction, for the 1.8 you won't really see any difference in grunt you may find throttle responce a tad better, it won't affect the sports mode at all, the filter would work better in condjuction with a performance exhaust as the saying is (better breathing, better exhaust escape=better bhp gain)
Hope this helps

·
A.O.N. - Full Member
1,381 Posts
P.s if you do decide to go cone filter have a cold air feed to it other wise your car will suffer from heat soak causing less bhp. Cold air=better bhp
Sorry if I sound a bit in blunt but I like to get straight to the point lol
Cheers

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P.s if you do decide to go cone filter have a cold air feed to it other wise your car will suffer from heat soak causing less bhp. Cold air=better bhp
Sorry if I sound a bit in blunt but I like to get straight to the point lol
Cheers
Prefer it that way lol, no messing about. Is k&n the best manufacturer? And any model beat in your opinion?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello there, if I was you I would either get a replacement k&n pannel filter or enclosed induction, for the 1.8 you won't really see any difference in grunt you may find throttle responce a tad better, it won't affect the sports mode at all, the filter would work better in condjuction with a performance exhaust as the saying is (better breathing, better exhaust escape=better bhp gain)
Hope this helps
Thanks for info, I was considering changing exhaust after but not 100 percent as not too sure how long I will have the car yet

·
A.O.N. - Full Member
1,381 Posts
Well it is one of many top brands others are pipercross, bmc,itg,ramair at the end of the day they all offer great improvements of better airflow, nothing wrong with just cheap filters either as every company starts somewhere to get there name out there, all depends on what money you have as well, if you don't really care how much you spend you can get the most exspencive but like I said they all do the same job lol anything else you need to know just ask :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it is one of many top brands others are pipercross, bmc,itg,ramair at the end of the day they all offer great improvements of better airflow, nothing wrong with just cheap filters either as every company starts somewhere to get there name out there, all depends on what money you have as well, if you don't really care how much you spend you can get the most exspencive but like I said they all do the same job lol anything else you need to know just ask :)
thanks, it was the k&n apollo cold system i was looking at before may just get that for £130, should do the trick hopefully

·
Registered
265 Posts
To add to custard1's post, I use a pipercross panel replacement, cost 40quid, gives a little more response, and a little more noise, 130 quid for a air filter system that won't give u much gain at all, I'd get a panel and put the left over money aside for an exhaust, that'll give u better gains and sound

·
A.O.N. - Full Member
1,381 Posts
I would have to agree with dicarter bud, I wouldn't spend 130 quid on a filter on a 1.8 I'm not saying the 1.8 is no good as they are very good engines, if I was you either get the k&n pannel filter or the pipercross one, get exhaust after and then remap it as all this will make no gain at all without the remap, I have seen people do all sorts to their cars without a remap and the bhp has been down as the standard software is made for standard parts if you know what I mean.
Hope that helps making your mind up ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To add to custard1's post, I use a pipercross panel replacement, cost 40quid, gives a little more response, and a little more noise, 130 quid for a air filter system that won't give u much gain at all, I'd get a panel and put the left over money aside for an exhaust, that'll give u better gains and sound
right a little confused now lol..... def a cheaper option but iv heard from several people that a cold intake system boosts the response and better for engine (something to do with heat soak) and the panel filters aren't all that :s ????

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have to agree with dicarter bud, I wouldn't spend 130 quid on a filter on a 1.8 I'm not saying the 1.8 is no good as they are very good engines, if I was you either get the k&n pannel filter or the pipercross one, get exhaust after and then remap it as all this will make no gain at all without the remap, I have seen people do all sorts to their cars without a remap and the bhp has been down as the standard software is made for standard parts if you know what I mean.
Hope that helps making your mind up ;)
yes thats helped a lot, i will probably get the pipercross ordered today now :)
am considering exhaust change but not sure if its worth me doing it as i plan to sell the car within a year or 2, as soon as my insurance drops for a turbo prob vxr il be all over that like flies round s***.

Then again now this SMALL project has started it may well happen ;p

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
That's fine mate, got my eye on a new exhaust, but the wife says i gotta wait till the original ones screwed, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" BORING!!:'(
Go outside grab a hammer and hacksaw and let rip. will be time for a new one soon enough.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's fine mate, got my eye on a new exhaust, but the wife says i gotta wait till the original ones screwed, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" BORING!!:'(
HAHA! my gf says the same, dont change it unless its broken :/

do you know about this heat soak issue - had a little look online and said i could lose bhp from a panel filter, is this true???

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
HAHA! my gf says the same, dont change it unless its broken :/

do you know about this heat soak issue - had a little look online and said i could lose bhp from a panel filter, is this true???
Heatsoak is overrated you will always get some kind of heat soak the bhp Loss will be so minimal I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree with VXR mike, he beat me to it, the only time someone mentioned heat soak to me, was when they used a cone filter without a cold air feed, just go with a panel in the original box, and keep nagging the mrs! (Y)

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
I have a cone filter with direct air route doesn't bother me ;) yeah get a panel filter mate nice bits of kit.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.