Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning chaps,

My 2005 H 1.7CDTI has developed an intermittent starting problem.

All began about a month ago, occasionally you'd turn the key all the way and nothing would happen. All lights would light up as normal and there's no evidence of the battery being duff (replaced recently and checked). You could turn the key several times and eventual the started motor kicks in.

This would not then happy for a few days and until the same thing happens again. I original thought this was possibly due to damp in the fuse box, I removed the upper fuse tray and there was a tiny amount of condensation, this was dried up but the issue still occurred.

Now I was involved in a rear end shunt 2 weeks ago, very minor frontal damage to my car but the problem appeared to get worse since with the thing not starting at all when my insurers garage came to pick it up. This morning it happened but I appear to be able to get it to start by keeping the key in the final ignition position, the starter then kicks in.

For me it all points to an earth being loose somewhere but the garage that repaired it couldn't find an issue an throughout the week it was with them it started fine several times. Pedal reads no fault codes.

Any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would say an earthing issue, check earth connections from starter and also those connected to the engine. Does the clock reset itself when you have problems starting her up? assuming the clock works in that way or memory settings in the radio?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say an earthing issue, check earth connections from starter and also those connected to the engine. Does the clock reset itself when you have problems starting her up? assuming the clock works in that way or memory settings in the radio?
No, all the settings remain the same, no memory settings lost. I'll check the earth connections over the weekend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could be an electrical fault in the ignition switch, ignition switch circuit (wiring), or a problem in the starting circuit (bad relay, solenoid, wiring or starter). Means pulling apart your steering column cowling :'(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be an electrical fault in the ignition switch, ignition switch circuit (wiring), or a problem in the starting circuit (bad relay, solenoid, wiring or starter). Means pulling apart your steering column cowling :'(
Well I certainly won't be attempting that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts