Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I removed the precat ( the one attached directly on the turbo), but the main cat is still on.
I wonder can this have a negative affect on the turbo? longer spool time? or benefits like bettle throttle responce, drives more like
a petrol car? this i know from experience :mrgreen:

thanks for the info.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
You'll never get a diesel to drive like a petrol, but basically the precat gives better throttle response, allows the turbo to spool quicker and gives more low down power, but at the expense of mid range torque in most cases.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll never get a diesel to drive like a petrol, but basically the precat gives better throttle response, allows the turbo to spool quicker and gives more low down power, but at the expense of mid range torque in most cases.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
so it is a good thing, right?
i read on this forum that removing the cats can have a negative effect on the turbos, because the turbos need to spin twice as much to keep the boost or something. i wonder, does that mean for the main cat or even the precat?
since my car ih remapped, some say it's better for the turbo the precat is removed, because the turbo doesn't overheat too mouch.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
nevr heard of that since t he boost is created before the exhuast gases reach the pre cat, and the amount of member running precats on std cars is fairly high. the only thing that i can think of that will effect a turbo diesels boost pressure is a badly designed intercooler with pipes that are too long, forcing the turbo to spool faster to keep the desired boost pressure up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts