Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 Astra H 1.7 CDti 100hp Z17DTH
Backstory:

I was driving along yesterday and the coolant temp reached 94C. Nothing abnormal for my car but a bit high. Hot air working as normal.

Driving this morning, no hot air at 80C coolant temp at which point my journey was done and I switched it off (hot air normally starts flowing at 60C coolant temp).

Drove again a bit later and alarmingly coolant temp reached 99C which is not normal and still not hot air. At that point I’d reached home and shut it off.

Let it cool down a bit and checked the coolant level. The tank was empty, I topped it up to the cold fill line with 2.5L of coolant.

Took it for a test drive, hot air blowing at 45C (great, fixed it I thought!), decided to keep the car running to see if the coolant gets over 90C which shouldn’t happen. At around 84C I noticed a puddle of coolant under the car and switched it off. Cooled down and checked the level again and it was empty. So lost around 2.5L.

I can’t trace the leak. It’s from the passenger side and it’s dripping onto the gearbox. But from where (unless the coolant cools the gearbox?!). Checked the thermostat and it was bone dry however this was about 1 hour after the dump, is it possible it could have dried in that time?. Can anyone help?

Pics attached

Attachments

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
There’s 2 hoses off the thermostat housing, 1 goes to the egr cooler, other goes to the egr itself, chances are it the stat to egr, the hose itself is only £9 odds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s 2 hoses off the thermostat housing, 1 goes to the egr cooler, other goes to the egr itself, chances are it the stat to egr, the hose itself is only £9 odds

Hi thanks for the response

I can only see one line from the stat (red arrow on picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
It goes out the other side, you can’t see it from the top

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It goes out the other side, you can’t see it from the top

Sorry to be a pain, which direction does it go e.g from the thermostat up into the egr, straight up?

I will look at it when I get a chance

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
It’s a shaped hose, il see if I can find the part number

·
Registered
5,655 Posts

It’s either item 17 or 18 iirc, I replaced both on my van within a few weeks of the 1st 1 blowing

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just repaired a pipe on mine in similar place. Mine has a steell pipe that goes all round the engine. Couldn't see it properly until I took the battery box off then the radiator hose. Had 3 holes in pipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts