Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a second-hand Astra 58 plate, it's a 1.6 turbo SRi with the exterior pack with 63k miles on the clock; i'm the second driving owner. I have noticed that more so in gear 3 onwards, there is a whine whilst driving - similar to a supercharger noise, just without the gains lol..
  • The noise is NOT present when the clutch is pressed nor is it present when I switch to neutral.
  • The noise is not too loud, as fans on high or music on drowns it out
  • The clutch/bite seems solid
  • No clear movement to the gear-stick whilst driving
  • Small click noise from outside the car when switching between gears at a standstill
After much reading, it seems to be that it could be a common gearbox issue. I reported it to the dealer I bought off and they said to bring it back and if it is a gearbox issue, they will just refund me as it's not worth it for them to fix it. Shame as I was wanting a repair more than anything as I can't find any other same spec online with similar quality and miles.

Before I do return the car [so hesitantly], is what I describe a gearbox problem? I self-diagnosed based off research on and off here. I don't actually want to part with it, but i will if it means ££££.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be a simple issue with the clutch release bearing. If the garage are prepared to look at it, I would suggest letting them do so.

What is the worst they could report back?

If you are set on keeping the car, it may be worth negotiating with the garage to let them know that any costs to rectify the issue could be shared on the basis that a changing of the clutch and release bearing might make a noticeable difference, whilst leaving the option to trade it back for a refund if it doesn't fix the issue.

Alternatively, they may offer you a partial refund if you accept the fault with the risk that whatever the noise is may/may not be detrimental to the car.

First option would be my preferred route but is dependent on funds.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be a simple issue with the clutch release bearing. If the garage are prepared to look at it, I would suggest letting them do so.

What is the worst they could report back?

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Peter
if its going into gear and not slipping id live with it you couldnt have paid much for it at that age .
The dealer today told me he estimates it’ll cost him £750 or so to recondition the gearbox. He will then sell it a higher price OR he offered to go halves. I pay half the repair and I can keep the car plus 12-months warranty on the gearbox.

I paid £2600 originally. Does this offer sound alright?

·
Registered
815 Posts
you could drive that car a couple of years without anything going on it thats probly alot for an h dont know who would pay more for it than 2.6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you could drive that car a couple of years without anything going on it thats probly alot for an h dont know who would pay more for it than 2.6
It was one of very few (and only on Autotrader at time) on the market. The turbo 1.6, SRI and with exterior pack. 60k miles etc. I thought £2.6k would be decent amount for that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts