Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
mileage 33000
My car had a recent front exhaust pipe replace after mot fail and I have noticed my coolant level is now below the cold line. Is this ok to leave it like this? I’m not sure if it must be filled back up to the line. My car is a 2007 reg and the coolant has never been replaced or topped up and has always been on the cold line when cold.
Im not sure whether the is a minimum line amount but it looks line there is another line below the cold line but it’s not labelled minimum. I read some cars are ok if the coolant is between the two lines. Halfords charge £40 for a coolant drain and replacement or £10 to buy the coolant and top up, not sure which to do. Don’t really wanna have to spend £40 to drain it if I can just top it up. Due to the age of the coolant I thought it might need a full replacement though, I read that the inhibitors can degrade or water can evaporate out leaving a bad mixture.

thanks for any advice.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

ps
Just noticed after getting the engine hot to 96 degrees the coolant sits exactly on the cold line level

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
376 Posts
Meant to change coolant every 5 years to prevent rust building up in the system.

Is easy enough to change yourself go underneath there is a a screw on the radiator which u open to remove the coolant. Empty it and refil with new.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ok thanks, should this be topped up to the cold line or will it be ok? Is there a minimum line or is the cold line the minimum line?
Cold line is minimum line. When u drain and refill up to the line, close the cap and then take it for a short drive. Put temp on hot and towards face vents on full speed. It will be cold then turn hot when the system is bled. Then come back let it cool down and refill bsck to cold line

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cold line is minimum line. When u drain and refill up to the line, close the cap and then take it for a short drive. Put temp on hot and towards face vents on full speed. It will be cold then turn hot when the system is bled. Then come back let it cool down and refill bsck to cold line
Until I can replace the coolant should I top it up with water or mixed coolant until I can get it changed or is it ok like it is? The engine temperature on the radio display seems to be ok after a ten minute drive it is around 97 degrees. Do you know how much coolant it takes? Halfords have a five litre mixed OAT and a 2 litre they also have the undiluted ones.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Until I can replace the coolant should I top it up with water or mixed coolant until I can get it changed or is it ok like it is? The engine temperature on the radio display seems to be ok after a ten minute drive it is around 97 degrees.
Just drain it all and change it mate. U csn top up with water temporarily

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully the coolant loss is not a leak somewhere because it seems to be stable at the moment, I’m thinking it overheated when the front exhaust leaked and the coolant overflowed out?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
🙈 your flexi pipe was replaced nothing to do with coolant buy it takes just over 4ltrs of coolant with water total hows an 07 got only 33k on it its probly 133😃😃
Just had a thought from reason other posts about leaks, could the white powdery flecks on the tank and hoses etc be a sign of a leak or just salt residue from the road in winter. Does the coolant tank cap have a pressure release?
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would it be ok to top up the smallish amount lost with deinonsed water or must it be a mix of water and coolant? How bad is it to continue driving with that amount lost?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
A mix would be best but a small amount of water won't dilute the mix down a lot,
as you've not changed the coolant in donkeys years you could pee in the expansion tank and it wouldn't make much difference o_O;)
For the cost i'd change the cap when you do finally change the coolant.

Reactions: madigasekera

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A mix would be best but a small amount of water won't dilute the mix down a lot,
as you've not changed the coolant in donkeys years you could pee in the expansion tank and it wouldn't make much difference o_O;)
For the cost i'd change the cap when you do finally change the coolant.
Yeah I was thinking that it’s probably lost more water than coolant due to evaporation over the years.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
A sealed system if working correctly doesn't lose anything by evaporation,
the fact your a/f is really old means you have a massively increased risk of corrosion building up internally and blocking waterways,the heater radiator and causing the water pump to struggle,
tbh it's probably too late to do much about that now.
Get the old coolant drained,flush the cooling system out as best you can then re-fill with a strong (50/50) mixture.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Halfords do a coolant change for £40 not sure if that includes a pressure test to check for leaks before filling it up otherwise it would be a waste to fill it up if there is a leak. So the only way it could have lost coolant is from a leak or can it get lost from the overflow for some reason? Is £40 reasonable considering the coolant costs about £20 alone, I don’t know how much a local mechanic would charge. Wouldn’t my tank be completely empty if there was a leak.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I doubt it's a leak,much more likely to be a failing pressure cap at that age,the problem you can get though is that by putting a new cap on that's actually holding to the correct pressure can then produce leaks somewhere else,
i don't know anything about what Halfords may or may not do or what strength/quality of a/f they use,best call them if you want to go that route

·
Registered
815 Posts
i got a brand new bottle and had to put my old cap on it as the new cap was rubbish. i think your just not wanting to change the coolant at the age it is its probly not coolant any more

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts