Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm brand new to this forum and cars in general. I passed 3 months ago, When I bought my car it made a little knocking sound but I didn't think much of it but now compared to when I first got the car It feels sluggish and somtimes the revs go up by themself.

It does sound like its coming from the timing belt and or water pump area. If I could get any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I've done a pedal test as well this is the number that comes up. ECN 152651.

I bought the workshop manual as well to try and figure out how to fix it and troubleshoot.

I think its the timing belt, but I'd like to know if anyone else has come across this problem or has heard similar things ?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section or this is probably the most asked question, I've done some research before I've come on here.

·
15,050 Posts
Being a 1.4 it has a timing chain, the belt you see is the auxiliary belt and runs the water pump and alternator.
Try taking the oil cap off and see what happens - the breather valve in the cover can break up and the top end pressurises which can lead to revving on its own.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'd remove the aux belt and run the engine to see if the noise goes,
regarding the p1526-51 code the meaning is Throttle Control Lower Position not Learned and can cause variations in revving but if it's a "present" code it should bring the svs lamp on,so it may be historic if the light's not lit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"compared to when I first got the car It feels sluggish and somtimes the revs go up by themself."
When I does this its not when your accelerating? as could be clutch

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had similar problem. In my case noise was from alternator clutch and rev changing was caused by throttle control having blocked hole just below butterfly valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:
Thank you to everyone that replied, I'm sorry for replying so late! I took it to a garage and it turns out the noise was the timing chain that wore out along with the guides. I think the revving was more user error on my part thinking about it 😅. Good thing I took it to the garage anyway it turns out both driver side coil springs was bust and a leaking shock absorber! it works a treat now :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts