Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,got my first astra 2 days ago,got a small prob with it,when i get to 1500 /2000 rpm its like it cuts out,before it gets and after it has passed this it runs fine,,,no eml on,from what i can see it has had new coil pack,new thermostat,lad said he had cleaned the egr valve,and the throtle flap,and the maf,anybody had same prob and what was the fix,thanks

·
3,890 Posts
Is it just when you're building up revs that it has this problem as it goes through that rev range? Or if you were to try and run steadily within that rev range it also has trouble? I;m just wondering if your problem is actually with that rev range or with the fact that you're accelerating and/or building up revs when you get the problem.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Could either be the coil and plugs (should always change as one IMO) or the EGR valve. However the EGR tends to cause rough running and the car will have a tendancy to loose all power and maybe cut out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i am in neutral and rev the car,it wont miss,only seems to do it when driving,if i hold the revs between 1500 and 2000 whilst driving it starts missing like its cutting out,above 2000 drives like a rocket no missing.egr cleaned,no eml on,also dose it more when hot.

·
3,890 Posts
Just an idea, but check the air filter. It could be that it's not getting a clear air flow (so it's alright without load or when the engine in sucking hard enough, but not in between - just a theory!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just an update,cleaned air pipes on air filter box,new air filter,no joy still same so,got some injector cleaner plenty in and run it for over 100 miles,hey presto missing gone,talking to woman who we got car off,she did say that she had run out of petrol a few times,so will fit new petrol filter,just to ease my mind,thinking crap in injectors,happy bunny now,thanks all for your input,(Y)(Y)(Y)

·
3,890 Posts
Excellent! Hopefully that's all there is to it then! Nice easy fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spoke too soon,fault is back again.not many new bits left to put on.think its time to sell the skip and get a **** lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after a day trying various things i spoke to the lad who had the car before me,yes he took the egr valve off to clean,what he failed to tell me he had stripped the threads on one of the lower bolts,filled hole with silicone sealer then put the bolt in.once it got hot it expanded letting air in,so till the new housing gets here i have blocked the pipe to the inlet manifold off.runs a treat now,

·
3,890 Posts
Oh dear! What numpty uses silicone sealant on something that gets up to exhaust gas temperature?? And what numpty thinks silicone sealant is going to hold a bolt thread anyway?? Dear oh dear!

I hope this turns out to be the end of your troubles anyway! Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh dear! What numpty uses silicone sealant on something that gets up to exhaust gas temperature?? And what numpty thinks silicone sealant is going to hold a bolt thread anyway?? Dear oh dear!

I hope this turns out to be the end of your troubles anyway! Good luck!
I agree, they should obviously have used tape like this quality repair....

Posted from my Nokia 3310

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ha ha,got plenty of that tape ready,,the only thing i had on hand for a quick fix was a coke can,,,,made a template of flange cut out punched holes in and put on,got a drink and car fixed,,all for 60p.........:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
ha ha,got plenty of that tape ready,,the only thing i had on hand for a quick fix was a coke can,,,,made a template of flange cut out punched holes in and put on,got a drink and car fixed,,all for 60p.........
It'll work better than the silicone bodge job anyway! Lol,

Funnily enough every time I've blanked off an EGR I've used a Coke can, easy to shape and just perfect thickness.

Posted from my Nokia 3310

1 - 13 of 13 Posts