Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, a common issue is the Thermostat, which I just replaced. Including housing, sensor, and a new upper rad hose as the old one was bulging up, almost exploded!

Temp gauge on instrument cluster wasn't working at all, and right now it is also not working even after replacing thermostat, sensor, housing, hose.

It seems the gauge indicator is totally offline, it doesn't move at all not even after idling for a while, hoses get hot to touch, thermostat is hot, and heater is blowing heat as expected. Not warm, fully heat.

Could it be that the gauge has stopped working at all? How could it be fixed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took apart the instrument cluster, I have it on a bench, anyone has a datasheet or which pin is what?

·
Registered
904 Posts
You haven't said exactly which 1.8 engine you have,
but generally the sensor has a voltage feed from the ECM (5v or 12v) and a signal return to the ECM,
i'd start testing at the sensor end to see what readings you get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You haven't said exactly which 1.8 engine you have,
but generally the sensor has a voltage feed from the ECM (5v or 12v) and a signal return to the ECM,
i'd start testing at the sensor end to see what readings you get.
Z18XE engine, Astra G 2003 Hatchback 5 door. I forget you guys have many versiones and engine types on there hehehe:)

Ok, I'll grab a multimeter and repprt back some readings, right now I'll take a nap :)

Also checked fuses and relays yesterday, for any visible issue with them, none damaged so far.

But, the wiring to the temperature sensor is pretty brittle, maybe that could be the culprit. It's possible it could be closing the circuit enough to not consider it offline. But readings are not expected value to ECU, therefore gauge in Instrument cluster is not engaging.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Connected an OPCOM and Coolant temperature is being correctly measured, seems to be an issue with the instrument cluster itself :/

Couldn't get it to run hotter than 75 °C, a storm started to pour down, couple of minutes with engine on. But I also noticed that fan only kicks in if I disconnect the ECT sensor :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts