Astra Owners Network banner

Astra G 1.4 16v squealing and ticking noise

750 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ruinoite 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I've recently changed the head gasket and all timing parts on my X14XE Astra G but now I've got 2 problems.

One of them is a squealing sound which is apparently coming from the crankshaft pulley, the one that looks like this:

I though the squealing was coming from the timing belt being tensioned wrongly, but in my trial and error ventures, I've found that the squealing stops when I remove that pulley. Of course I get the check engine light because the sensor can't sense that pulley, but that's to be expected. It doesn't matter if the pulley is just slightly tightened or torqued down to spec, the noise is the same. Do note I have tested this without the alternator belt, so that's not the issue here either. Could it be that the pulley is somehow slightly bent and is scraping against the timing belt plastic cover? That reminds me, I have yet to test this without that cover.

My second issue is the ticking noise. Sounds like valves. My cylinder head was dry clean because I replaced the head gasket, so I took the chance to get it checked as well. I've read online that because this engine has hydraulic tappets, it could take some time for them to fill with oil and the noise could go away. But after letting it idle for 1 hour non-stop, and 2 short drives (about 15km total), it's still as noisy.

Here's a video of both noises in action:

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

See less See more
1 1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.