Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2 door Hatch Astra AH 2005 1.8 Manual and ive noticed a new whining sound when idle.

after i rev it idles fine then the noise comes.

i noticed it after i got a service. i had the timing belt done. i went back into the shop today and they checked it over and said the belt is fine, they took the drive pulley off and the noise still was there.

they said it could be the throttle body, im not sure what that is and how.

any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I wonder if the noise is from the a.c. compressor if you have one. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wonder if the noise is from the a.c. compressor if you have one. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
AC is off though, so would it make the noise still?

ive got access to a steelman diagnostics kit, so im going to try pin point it but im not sure what you clip it on to, guess the compressor is a good start

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same noise only when it was first started though... fixed mine by leaving the air con switched on. Seems to be fine now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you hear a clunk when you turn the aircon on? If so it has a clutch
i just checked, there was a little clunk

Had the same noise only when it was first started though... fixed mine by leaving the air con switched on. Seems to be fine now
i turned the aircon on when it was happening and no difference

im going to open it up and check the tensioner to see what its set too

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you have just had a new timing belt fitted its worth checking that tensioner has been set up correctly. Timing belts can sometimes make a similar noise if they are under too much tension.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have just had a new timing belt fitted its worth checking that tensioner has been set up correctly. Timing belts can sometimes make a similar noise if they are under too much tension.
hmm it seems ok to me

the noise only happens on idle and when i turn it off you can notice it for a split second, if the belt was to tight, im sure it would make the noise during different RPM's

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think you mean Dayco,and they are generally decent quality,was the pump included with the kit or was it a different make ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you mean Dayco,and they are generally decent quality,was the pump included with the kit or was it a different make ?
yes Dayco, sorry

99% sure it a Dayco pump too, i believe they used the kit. i can always ask if its important

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm only asking because there are plenty of rubbish Chinese aftermarket pumps about,
can you SAFELY get a long screwdriver down to the pump ?,
if you can with the engine running and put your ear to the handle it acts like a stethoscope and can help pin down noisy bearings etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm only asking because there are plenty of rubbish Chinese aftermarket pumps about,
can you SAFELY get a long screwdriver down to the pump ?,
if you can with the engine running and put your ear to the handle it acts like a stethoscope and can help pin down noisy bearings etc
its right at the bottom, kinda hard to get too. to get to it i really need to take out the motor mounts or take off the harmonic balancer and i dont have the tools for that

i like the idea of the stethoscope though

ive got a feeling its the waterpump, ive contacted Dayco over a month ago and no reply.... ive sent them a new lot of emails today so ill see if any of them reply...

but even then, if its the pump i would of thought it make the noise all the time even when reving... im so confused lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would expect the noise to be there all the time, maybe when you rev the engine the other sounds from doing that are just covering it up? It may just be noisier at certain RPM's when whatever is causing the sound is resonating, so you just hear it more then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts