Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking for a little advice on supplying power to my 12v devices.

I have two Nextbase Dash Cams which require a switched ignition connection.

I also have a Reversing Camera which again requires a switched ignition connection.

I have a 1.4 Astra Life 2007 model with Type A Fuse Box in the Boot (Minimal Fuses 1-8 only).

I attempted to find a switched live in the Boot but could not find one which worked as required.

I'm aware there is a switched ignition relating to the Cigarette Lighter.

I'm considering using the 12v Switched Ignition connection to Power my Two Dash Cams, thus still allowing me to use the Socket as normal.

My next thought was to tap into the Glove Box Light connection for use with the Reversing Camera Monitor Power Supply. I've heard that after 5mins after locking it switches off and switches on with unlocking.

What are you thoughts on this? I've found this forum a great help over the past week answering my many queries silently.

Many thanks

Jason

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Use the switched live under the lighter socket in combination with a relay to provide the power you need

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, absolutely

Great, am I correct in thinking the wiring of the relay is as follows?

Switched Ignition Live to pin 30, Accessory Sockets Live to pin 87, Car Earth to Pin 85 and Accessory Earth to pin 86?

Apologies if I've got that slightly wrong, I'm learning!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just had a thought, what wire should I use to perform this?

I'm guessing 30amp wire will be suitable along with Spade Connections.

I'm considering using a relay for the Parking Camera Power Supply as I'm told the Canbus can interfere with the camera when linked to the Reverse Light.

Do I need to purchase a specific type of relay?

Will I need to run a cable to the battery for the 12v Cig Relay?

Cheers

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts

30 is a fused live feed from the battery. There is an easy to access grommet behind the glovebox. Go to the Ice & Electrics section and check out my thread in the Sticky section called "my simple install" for instructions.
85 is earth
86 is the switched live feed from underneath the cigarette lighter socket, also detailed in the thread mentioned above.
87 goes to the live of the new device.

30 amp cable is fine. Add an inline fuse on the feed from the battery to the relay.

You can get canbus relays for the reverse feed though not everyone suffers from canbus issues when fitting the reverse cam

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

30 is a fused live feed from the battery. There is an easy to access grommet behind the glovebox. Go to the Ice & Electrics section and check out my thread in the Sticky section called "my simple install" for instructions.
85 is earth
86 is the switched live feed from underneath the cigarette lighter socket, also detailed in the thread mentioned above.

30 amp cable is fine. Add an inline fuse on the feed from the battery to the relay.

You can get canbus relays for the reverse feed though not everyone suffers from canbus issues when fitting the reverse cam
Double post - edited by Cptslow91

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

85 is earth

Double Post -edited by Cptslow91

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Tony! This is just the job, I've been out today and purchased 30amp wire (6m), 1 x 12v Relay, Crimp Connectors and a in line Fuse for the Car Battery Feed.

I've also got a CD30 Stereo to be refitted at the same time, replacing a aftermarket Stereo. I've a TID and Stereo Paired so that'll be fun to fit lol

There's also a Parrot CK3100 for me to fit too, a busy weekend planned! I've the relevant harness for the radio and Parrot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've done it!

After 2 days of Prep (Soldering Wires, Crimping and getting parts), today was installation day.

I've now installed the Parrot CK3100, Additional Nextbase Rear Camera, Reversing Camera and Monitor, Stock CD30 with TID all this afternoon.

Here are some photos of my finished installation:

I've yet to update the CK3100 to display Vauxhall or Parrot but that's a job for another day.

The help and guidance was spot on and really helped me out so thank you Tony!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah damn, all fixed now - can't trust photobox to do anything right lol

My only regret is not getting a Gold Stereo! I honestly didn't notice until it was being installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts