Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi iv got a 1.9 cdti and since iv had it the turbo seems to whistle loud it still drives ok and power is there its just the loud whistle noise. iv drove afew other 1.9s and the turbo dont seem to whistle loud on them.

any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The turbo is unbalanced ....
My advice is take it out and have it fixed while you can or else it will break :p

That whistle is produce by the the unbalance that occurs with natural worn of the repair kit inside the turbo...

Its pretty natural to happen

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it, if the power is still there and its boosts fine then the turbo is fine, mines whistle quite loud when its cold as do many of the others on here, a alot of the newer common rail diesels have the turbo whistle just to do with the high turbo pressures that they run, but once warmed up you can't hear it at all, and only if you put the windows down will you hear the induction whoosh of the turbo sucking in the ait through the intake, some like the sound some hate, me personally i love it.

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Mine whistles quite loudly, and VXR Mike's old 1.9 had the same whistle at about the same volume. It's always done it and when it was standard, it still ran 155BHP on the rollers.

I'd say it's fine, but might be worth doing a sound recording and seeing if we're thinking of the same noise? :)

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
oh yeah should have added mines has done it since i bought it and has covered 16k miles since then and hasn't blown up yet, just a natural thing, but as mike's said get a vid up, we may be confusing the whistle with something else :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
power is all still there. its just afew 1.9cdti's ic heard aint been as loud. but mines sounded the same ever since iv had it for nearly a year

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ever since i got mine it has done the same and is pretty loud when cold and when warm it still makes it but less loud.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Mine wasn't loud when I bought it, but is loud now! Again, runs perfectly fine!

Mines been like this for 6 month now. I like it :D It whistles like mad around 1500-2500. :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Mine wasn't loud when I bought it, but is loud now! Again, runs perfectly fine!

Mines been like this for 6 month now. I like it :D It whistles like mad around 1500-2500. :D
Guess its normal but i haven't seen another 1.9 do it but good to know others do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you take out the inducer pipe that goes from the maf to the compressor housing ?
And check out the turbo is ??
You have to balance it up and down and front and back.
with the car off eheheh :p

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
You are not okay mine doesn't sound like this at al whtfbeebk, I wan't this sound too :(

Galaxy Nexus Tapatalk
We need a person with brains to answer this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lol well I ment I don't have this sound on mine 1.9, sounds nice, like the wistle, but I prefer to not have this sound on my car. Maybe my car is a low miliage car, but yes a whistle doesn't mean anything.

Galaxy Nexus Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
Lol well I ment I don't have this sound on mine 1.9, sounds nice, like the wistle, but I prefer to not have this sound on my car. Maybe my car is a low miliage car, but yes a whistle doesn't mean anything.

Galaxy Nexus Tapatalk
Well it does get you noticed going passed the cars cruising around town but it can get annoying over time so the speakers then get tested out to drown it out abit. I think it would be one of them things you missed if it disappeared tho.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts