Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 2006 astra 1.9 cdti Sri is suffering power loss. I cleaned the EGR valve about 5 months ago. About two weeks ago the power went.... Still drives but u can literally put ur foot to the floor and nothing happens then it'll kick in and go like the clappers! Hard to get the revs up! Anyway it was due for its major service so I took it to the garage where they had a look at it and also did the diagnostic test on it.... Nothing came up apart from it needing a software update? Which I was told only vauxhall can do... Anyway after the service it drove better than ever... The power had come back and everything seemed fine. But today, less than a week later, the power seems to be slowly going again and it did the thing again where foot goes to floor but nothing happens! Just wanna know if anyone's got any ideas? And if anyone knows about this software update thing? There are no warning lights or anything! I'd be really grateful if anyone can tell me what it could be? Before I go and get raped by vauxhall :salute: thanks!

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Firstly, welcome to AON :wave:

Now my first thought is that the EGR valve is clogged, but you say you cleaned that a while back. May be worth checking it, but when the engine is off, the EGR is in the closed position, which is essentially the same as it being blanked off... so one thing you can try to eliminate the EGR valve is unplugging it. You are also gaurunteed to get the spanner light on the dash and a stored code of P0400 by doing this, but it shouldn't cause any problems. Try this and see if it causes any difference.

You could also look at cleaning the boost sensor. Same sort of theory as the EGR valve. Take it off, get some carb cleaner and give it a clean up, but you need to careful as the centre bit inside the cage is very sensitive so you don't want to use anything too abrasive to clean it. The boost sensor is mounted in the back of the inlet manifold, around the centre and is held in with a single T30 torx bolt and then just pulls out. The seal is quite tight though so be careful when you pull it out. I managed to snap the cage off inside my inlet manifold and had to drill it out. :shock:

Lastly, I'd suggest checking your swirl flap rod. This is a common fault on the Z19DTH engine where there is so much carbon that builds up in the manifold that causes the swirl flaps to jam and the rod then snaps off meaning that 3 of the 4 are now static. To check this, pop the engine cover off and if you look down on the top of the engine, you'll see a gap towards the back where the inlet is and there will be a silver bar inside this. If it has fallen off, your swirl flaps have failed. If you're not sure, get someone to rev the engine and see if the rod moves freely as the engine revs. If this has fallen off, then unfortunately you'll need a new inlet manifold.

Standard 1st reply from a lot of them will be to do the pedal test. If you can get that done and post up any codes stored, they'll be able to help you out :)
While this may help, I'd have thought the diagnostic tool would've picked this up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replying! Iv just done a pedal test for good measure and the only code to come up was 161450 something to do with the immobiliser? Sometimes when waiting for the lights to go out on ignition, my eml light flashes so I have to take the key out and try again. I was told it was something to do with the immobiliser not always recognising my key? Don't know how true that is, but could that code be in anyway connected to my power problem? All seems abit technical for me! :)

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
P1614 is indeed an immobiliser code. This is fairly common and is usually caused by the CIM and causes the exact symptoms you describe. It'll need a replacement CIM to fix it, but it depends how much it bothers you. Mine does it every now and then, but the extra effort requried to whip the key out, put it back in and start the car really didn't bother me enough to get it fixed...

Other common symptoms of a faulty CIM are the horn not working when the lights are on (but usually dimming the dash lights fixes this temporarialy) or the horn turning the stereo up. If you have any of these issues, I would advise getting it looked at, but if not, then it just comes down to how much the immobiliser fault bothers you :shrug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it doesn't bother me that much and like yours, it only does it now and again!
I've just rang my local vauxhall up to get them to look at it regarding the power loss problem and they won't do anything until they've ran the diagnostics test on it, which is £42, when I argued that iv already had that done and nothing came up, they said they still need to do one, so told them not to bother! Will go down the route that you said in your last post... Where can I find the 'how to' guides on all these things as me and my dad will have a go and he's not clued up with newer cars?? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Firstly, welcome to AON 👋

Now my first thought is that the EGR valve is clogged, but you say you cleaned that a while back. May be worth checking it, but when the engine is off, the EGR is in the closed position, which is essentially the same as it being blanked off... so one thing you can try to eliminate the EGR valve is unplugging it. You are also gaurunteed to get the spanner light on the dash and a stored code of P0400 by doing this, but it shouldn't cause any problems. Try this and see if it causes any difference.

You could also look at cleaning the boost sensor. Same sort of theory as the EGR valve. Take it off, get some carb cleaner and give it a clean up, but you need to careful as the centre bit inside the cage is very sensitive so you don't want to use anything too abrasive to clean it. The boost sensor is mounted in the back of the inlet manifold, around the centre and is held in with a single T30 torx bolt and then just pulls out. The seal is quite tight though so be careful when you pull it out. I managed to snap the cage off inside my inlet manifold and had to drill it out. :shock:

Lastly, I'd suggest checking your swirl flap rod. This is a common fault on the Z19DTH engine where there is so much carbon that builds up in the manifold that causes the swirl flaps to jam and the rod then snaps off meaning that 3 of the 4 are now static. To check this, pop the engine cover off and if you look down on the top of the engine, you'll see a gap towards the back where the inlet is and there will be a silver bar inside this. If it has fallen off, your swirl flaps have failed. If you're not sure, get someone to rev the engine and see if the rod moves freely as the engine revs. If this has fallen off, then unfortunately you'll need a new inlet manifold.

While this may help, I'd have thought the diagnostic tool would've picked this up?
Thanks I've cleaned egr valve an put new fuel filter, I've ordered oil filter and air filter today. But I will take a look at the boost valve and swirl flap in hour.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re Software updates mentioned above. Anyone can do these if you have the right kit. Namely GM GlobalTIS. and a GM subscription.
Im in Berkshire and have this. So if your near i can help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts