Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 58 plate SRi for two years now and never had any major problems with it.

Had the timing belt down a few months back and the usual services.

Last week after driving for a bit i noticed a loss of power all of a sudden and since then it has stayed that way. The exhaust and intake note are deeper and louder and the fuel consumption seems higher. Couldnt work it out as there was no warning lights then a few days later the service light on the dash came on and it comes on after driving every time i start the car.

I thought initially it would be MAF related but the sensor connected to the hose at the back of the air box is apparently an air intake temperature sensor and i wouldnt have thought that would cause an issue, i took the hose off completely exposing the throttle body and it was spottless so doesnt seem clogged with anything and when started without the hose it idles fine.

I'm at a loss. The car isnt lumpy or stuttery it just has a loss of power and sounds different under acceleration. I have Opcom so i'll get it plugged it to read the codes when i can.

Has anyone else had this?

Any help would be great as i want to get it fixed and it seems like something i should be able to do myself

Cheers,
Stuart

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,717 Posts
am going to take a guess and say its stuck in a VVT phase which would explain the different exhuats note, does the car feel fine at certain points of the rev range and flat/ powerless in others?

·
Registered
566 Posts
i took the hose off completely exposing the throttle body and it was spottless so doesnt seem clogged with anything and when started without the hose it idles fine.
Have you checked the intake hoses and airbox for blockages?

Try the pedal test, will save you messing about with your OPCOM - key in the ignition, fully depress the brake and accelerator pedals, turn the key to the second turn position (don't start the engine). Where your mileage is normally displayed it will show ECN****** (where * = a number 0-9).

ECN000000 means no faults, anything else check here - http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?55661-Astra-H-FAULT-CODES (scroll down to Z18XER which is your engine code).

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
As mentioned you need to do your own diagnostic first, then if nothing shows have a proper one done,

If you say the exhaust note has altered, then that says to me at a guess, that it could be down to your cat either blocked or maybe as simple as a new lamda sensor needed, I do hope its not the former mentioned because they can be pricey

B

·
Registered
812 Posts
Had something similar on my old car. Turned out it was a slight blockage with the air intake. Check the air filter for a start

1 - 7 of 7 Posts