Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a Astra G 1.6 8v Automatic.Ive had my car diagnosed cos after 5/10 mins of running the Amber spanner light comes on dash then once the cars turned off and parked up after 3 hours the light goes out.so I don鈥檛 use the car.

Ive got this code of p1482-04 which Ive looked into it.Ive checked fuses and relays but then it states it鈥檚 probably the coolant module which is located behind the front bumper passenger side.so I bought the correct coolant module and it鈥檚 not there there鈥檚 not even a bracket or any connectors for it.but it states in the Haynes manual it鈥檚 there and on Google it states all petrol g coolant modules are located there.has anyone come across this or does any one knows where it can be ? Thanks

Registered
Not all the G's have a coolant module,it's mainly those with A/C

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not all the G's have a coolant module,it's mainly those with A/C
Or I see thanks for that馃憤馃徎 Have you any ideas on this code then? As Ive read some people have found out it to be a problem in the ECU what鈥檚 kicked out a fault code of p1482-04 then some people have found a damage wire from the rad area about 12鈥 long.its just proper doing my head in馃く Ive asked Vauxhall they said they have never heard of a p1482-04 code which I find very odd as its all over Google.Ive asked RAC they don鈥檛 know馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔忦煠︷煆烩嶁檪锔廡hanks馃憤馃徎

Registered
The full code description is P1482 4 Fan Relay 2 Signal Low / Open Circuit
so you're looking for a short circuit to ground or circuit interruption,
if it's an ecm problem you'll usually get a few more codes to go with the one you have

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The full code description is P1482 4 Fan Relay 2 Signal Low / Open Circuit
so you're looking for a short circuit to ground or circuit interruption,
if it's an ecm problem you'll usually get a few more codes to go with the one you have
Hi sorry yeh I got the full code as P1482-04 fan control 2 circuit open.I know nothing really about electrics I鈥檓 more of a body man/sprayer.but I鈥檓 trying to get a mechanic what can fix it for me but no one seems interested 馃く馃う馃徎鈥嶁檪锔 Very much appreciated on the knowledge thanks馃憤馃徎

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi sorry yeh I got the full code as P1482-04 fan control 2 circuit open.I know nothing really about electrics I鈥檓 more of a body man/sprayer.but I鈥檓 trying to get a mechanic what can fix it for me but no one seems interested 馃く馃う馃徎鈥嶁檪锔 Very much appreciated on the knowledge thanks馃憤馃徎
I found this aswell

chubbyluv

Registered
Joined Jun 17, 2010 路 3 Posts
Discussion Starter 鈥 #1 May 8, 2011

I own an Astra 2003 1.8xe and here鈥檚 my take on my recent cooling problem. The fan has three speeds, slow for the air con when stationary, medium as the temp reaches 88 then full chat if the temp passes 92 degrees.

My radiator fan always runs at full chat, it pulses when stationary with air con on then runs as temp goes passed 91.

Research on the forums helped me to solve my problem the cooling fan wasn鈥檛 working on slow and medium speed.

I removed the fan and support assembly, two torx bolts and cut the tie wraps holding the wiring harness on the bottom of the support structure, then I disconnected the cooling fan motor plug. I also had to remove the air box, battery and battery tray. The Haynes manual said I had to remove the upper and lower radiator hoses but I found with care I was able to remove the Fan and support assembly.

With the fan and support assembly out I unscrewed the torx screw securing the fan motor plug assembly to the fan support structure. This revealed the cooling fan resistor pack. Basically two wire coiled resistors one for slow speed one for medium and in the middle a diode which was direct power that runs the fan at full speed.

Upon investigation I found both coil type wire resistors had broken hence no slow speed with air con on and no medium speed at about 88 degrees.
I tried to solder them but the solder wouldn鈥檛 take despite cleaning up the metal. In the end I took a spade connector cut the spade off and put both ends of the broken coil in the remaining crimp barrel I then crimped them together.
Hey presto the fan now works on all three speeds

Some other snippets of information to assist, many threads mention a cooling fan module. Mine didn鈥檛 have one, all of the information is processed in the main ECU. Save some time no need to remove the bumper to see if you have one put your hand up the left hand inside bumper the module sits just below the screen wash reservoir if you have one you will feel it and the two plugs.

The radiator fan three speeds run via three relays these produce the fault codes P1481 P1482 and P1483. These are located in the relay box to the right of the battery. From the front of the car looking aft you have one black relay which is fan full on speed P1481 then two white relays slow and medium speed P1482 and P1483.
The power supply to the fan also runs through a fuse which is located in the engine bay fuse box, it is the first large fuse 40amp.

To add the spanner light came on my fianc茅es 1.6se 2004 Astra 2004. The opcom faulted code P1482 fan relay 2 no signal or open circuit. When power was applied to the relay circuit the fan ran, doing wiring checks the latching circuit of the relay had no earth, unfortunately the earth signal went through the engine ECU which was at fault. We had to get the ECU repaired to cure the problem.

Hope this helps, the forums have saved me money and time I just want to return the favour.

Regards

Mark

Registered
Yep much as i would expect,
finding these sort of faults is time consuming even when you know what you're doing,
it's likely why no one wants to try and sort it for you,no easy answers i'm afraid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts