Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first of all i hope you all had a wonderful Christmas..! Secondly, i would appreciate your help if possible please guys. I have an astra H 1.3cdti 2008 109k (Z13 DTH). Around 2 weeks ago the car just cut out on me randomly, i was doing around 10mph at the time just setting off on a round about and the car just turned off. I tried re-starting it straight away but nothing was happening, i could hear the starter motor turning but no luck firing up. Eventually after 2 mins the car started up fine but in limp mode so i managed to get it home. I then did a quick re-start and the car was running perfectly. Then again yesterday i was setting off from traffic lights after a 15 mile journey and i managed to drive around 6 meters and again the car conked out. Wouldn't start for a good 5/6 mins, then eventually started and was perfect again. I put the laptop onto the car using opcm software and it came back with P0400-61 which is the EGR Valve which i have blocked off and the second error was: P1191-67 Rail Pressure Range/Performance. Does anyone know if this is the rail pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail problem or if it's something else? car was serviced around 9 months ago with all the filters including the fuel filter by the garage. I can hear the fuel pump turning on and humming when i turned the ignition on when i had the problem. Any help would be very much appreciated. Should i start off changing the fuel filter? Then the fuel regulator? Also do i need to de-pressurise the system first then change it? Thank you very much for your help in advance guys. Thanks

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,704 Posts
could be any number of things, could be the fuel rail pressure sensor which will stop it working, but could also be the crank sensor.

Not sure how you depressurize the fuel system at the common rail, but would be best leaving it over night for the pressure to level off or drop before touching the pipes as the fuel rail pressure when running or shirtly after running tends to be fairly high.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
J will go along with what Dave says aka Bigdove

That the issue could well be the crank sensor acting up

But it could well be down to a fuel issue as you say you had a full service and if the fuel filter had been changed there could well be air in the system causing problems

On a lot of diesels there is a small valve on the underside of the fuel filter housing this small plastk screw can be released a couple of turns anti clockwise to release any water and possiblt air in the system

Do not take the plastik screw out and only turn a couple of time after a few seconds please tighten the screw

Alternatively another option is to take the car back to who ever serviced it and ask for their advice

It could well be that they might not have bled the system properly

When you break down and cant start please take your key out of the ignition lock and unlock by the remote then try starting the ecu will re set itself to normal and you might be able to drive again for a while

You were indeed doing this by accident:)

My advice is not a guarantee

Happy Xmas B

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

Once again thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking your time out to help me.

The car was serviced 10 months ago and since then was running fine so dont think there is any air in the system, however I will undo the plastic screw under the fuel filter a few times and see if that helps take any air out.

I don't really want to take it back to that same garage as their is a change of ownership and the new boys in there seem to be cowboys. Not actual mechanics, just fitters basically if you get what I mean hence why I want to ask on here and then possibly sort it myself even if it cost me more as these guys will most likely start replacing everything one by one until the problem has gone.

As i previously mentioned its happening very intermittently, twice so far and I certainly dont want it happening with the kids in the car and it cutting out on a main road. What would you boys suggest I start with first?

1. Change the fuel filter just in case its clogged
2. Change the Crank Sensor

Above two are the cheapest and easiest to do i reckon. What would you suggest after that?

Error code was: P1191-67 Rail Pressure Range/Performance

PS - Looking at the videos I made at the time of the car breaking down (pedal test) I just noticed both times the fuel light was on, it wasnt flashing but the fuel light was on and the fuel was low(usually i can get around 50 miles from as soon as the light comes on), however its never caused me a problem driving with the fuel light on in the last 5 years of owning the vehicle. Also I've started using Costco Premium Diesel in my car in the last 5/6 months so not sure if thats related.

Once again, I am very thankful for your help and advice on this matter guys, honestly really appreciate you taking your time out.

Thank you

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,704 Posts
if the above 2 don't work, get a leak back test carried out on the injectors, see if there's possibly one or 2 sending too much fuel back to the tank.

The screw under the fuel housing won;t bleed the system, air will always rise to the top( think bleed nipples on brakes they are at the highest point of the caliper hydraulics) the screw on teh housing is just there to allow you to drain the water out of the fuel housing.

Now on your last point you said you regularly ran the tank low( as in red light low) it may be the cause of your issues, when you run the tank low, more so on diesels all the sludge at in the tank can be picked up by the fuel pick ups and clog the lines/ filter in the pump housing, now unfortuanlt that filter in the tank is unservacable without removing the whole pump from the tank and replacing the little guaze screen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi BigDov,

Thats what I thought as well as air will rise to the top and fuel will just keep coming out from the bottom but thought maybe there might be some gunk that may come out when i do that.

Sorry i didnt mean regularly run the tank low, i dont know if it was just a coincidence that both times it happened my fuel was low. I usually top the tank back up before the light comes back on. If the pump was clogged with all the crap then wouldnt it stay clogged and not start at all? I am able to start and then even drive the car 5 miles perfectly fine.

Thank You Big Dov

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I doubt the fuel filter will be clogged as you mentioned and personally I wouldn't bother trying to change it you vcould make things worse

Do the above two then let us know how you get on please

B

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brian,

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by "do the above two.."? Fuel Filter and the Crank Sensor? (just that you wrote above that you doubt its the fuel filter and wouldnt change it and it could make things worse)... Did you mean the fuel pump's own little filter?

Thanks

Thanks

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hi

I meant ;; Defo try a different Bosch Crank sensor

Do release any water in the fuel filter container

But at a last resort change the filter

From experience a fuel filter change can cause more problems if not done correctly It can introduce more air into the lines and system

B

Ps I have no idea about a filter on the actual fuel pump But know that one can bleed it by releasing a union on the pump this demands some knowlege

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Brian,

I have reserved them but the crank shaft sensor isnt available until tomorrow so will have to fit it on the weekend. They dont do BOSCH unfortunately, just HAAS Crankshaft Sensor. Would you trust HAAS or should i cancel the reservation and buy a BOSCH online?

I've changed a fuel filter before so shouldnt be too difficult, after its changed I will need to turn the ignition on for 15 seconds and then back off x3 and then eventually start it up... Im hoping so anyway lol

Thank you

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Bosch allday long

I have known of my friends car (Corsa Z18xe ) which had several brand new aftermarket sensors including crank fitted and It wouldn't even drive up my steep drive

\\\\\\\\\\\it was a total loss and a pig to drive

I replaced the new crank sensor using my own cars Bosch sensor and the car ran again

Keep us updated my friend

B

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi Brian,

I couldnt find any Bosch sensors, ive tried online and tried a few Auto shops including Euro, GSF, BMS and Andrew-Page.

The best quality one I can get hold of is the Bougicord Crankshaft Sensor from Euro (was there before i just never spotted it. Its more than the HAAS sensor so im assuming the quality will be better. Will be picking it up today from Euro and will try and fit it this weekend. Have you ever heard or used Bougicord?

Just called them and they confirmed its an OE part and not an aftermarker one :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Chaps,

Happy New Year

Just to give you an update, I changed the fuel filter and the Crank Sensor.

Car is driving as it was, the old fuel filter was very black compared to the new one and inside the fuel filter housing I found some bits floating around (looked like tissue paper but wet), they were around 1.5cm each but wafer thin.... There were 2 of them. Never put the old fuel from the housing back in, instead i turned the car ignition on and off 3 times which auto filled the fuel housing back with new fuel.

I will let the fuel run low again until the light flashes and then see how it goes (if it still cuts off or not).

I will keep you all posted.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
231 Posts
J will go along with what Dave says aka Bigdove

That the issue could well be the crank sensor acting up

But it could well be down to a fuel issue as you say you had a full service and if the fuel filter had been changed there could well be air in the system causing problems

On a lot of diesels there is a small valve on the underside of the fuel filter housing this small plastk screw can be released a couple of turns anti clockwise to release any water and possiblt air in the system

Do not take the plastik screw out and only turn a couple of time after a few seconds please tighten the screw

Alternatively another option is to take the car back to who ever serviced it and ask for their advice

It could well be that they might not have bled the system properly

When you break down and cant start please take your key out of the ignition lock and unlock by the remote then try starting the ecu will re set itself to normal and you might be able to drive again for a while

You were indeed doing this by accident:)

My advice is not a guarantee

Happy Xmas B
Undoing the drain plug under the filter will not get rid of air in the system as air rises to the top not the bottom, leave system overnight and then slowly untighten one of the injector pipe nuts till it depressurises, be careful as diesel is under very high pressure and has been known to kill if it injects into the skin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Rick,

Do i still need to get rid of the air in the system? I changed the fuel filter and started the ignition cycle 3 times and then fired the car up. Does it still need bleeding or air out of the system?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys, just to let you know the fuel light came on and i managed to drive around 3 miles with it on before it conked out. Just lost all power and turned off with the spanner light on, i've parked up and waited around 2 mins and started it again and it's back to normal again (the revs are slightly bouncing constantly)... Could this have something to do with it?? They're bouncing slightly so it feels like a lumpy idle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.