Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys.
I need a new AGM battery for my astra J 2.0 cdti.
I went to halfords who have said i need to have it programmed into the car so the car knows its a new battery. otherwise the battery wont last long as the car will be charging it thinking its the old battery. is this correct?

the bloke i spoke to was the main battery fitter and he said he's programmed hundreds of astra j AGM batteries. it needs to be done.

can anyone advise if this is correct?

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is some reprogramming that may need done if this is a new stop/start battery being fitted. When I was replacing mine I gave up with Halfords as the battery i ordered online was not what they wanted to fit(lower spec at higher cost) then they said they had no one trained to programme it if needed, they arranged for another store to do it who then told me they didnt have the equipment. I ended up using Kwik Fit who did a good job. I had checked the price at my dealer through the VX service club but they were very expensive, but think their price has dropped.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
On the J there isn't any programming as such but there there is a re-learn procedure in the BCM to re-set the battery module for the AGM batteries for the S/S system.

·
Registered
Astra j estate sri
261 Posts
On the J there isn't any programming as such but there there is a re-learn procedure in the BCM to re-set the battery module for the AGM batteries for the S/S system.
petrol 1.6 vvt (no stop n start) have it the BCM to re-set the battery module for the AGM batteries ?

or for cars with stop n start only ?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yes on gds2 the re-set only comes up as an option for S/S

·
Registered
32 Posts
This thread has caught my eye as I need to replace the battery on my Astra J 2.0cdti with start/stop.

Halfords used to stock an AGM115 battery which was an exact match size and spec wise 80Ah 800A. Priced £142 with fitting an additional £25. That battery is now out of stock and the second battery which comes up as suitable is not as it is not AGM and lower rating. I contacted Halfords customer service and a lady contacted me and they don't know when they are getting anymore in. Vauxhall quoted an eye watering £350! A local garage £250, and he also said that included re-setting the BCM.

So my question is what happens if the BCM is not reset? I guess the car thinks the battery is older than it is and done a number of stop/starts so perhaps won't stop/start?

I don't mind paying a fair price for fitting, but I can get a Varta battery online for £150 (which is the same as the original GM) but an additional £100 for a local garage to supply and fit still seems a bit steep.

I'll check the likes of KwickFit like Patrick57 did but I wonder how many garages actually reset the BSM and just change the battery.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
This thread has caught my eye as I need to replace the battery on my Astra J 2.0cdti with start/stop.
So my question is what happens if the BCM is not reset? I guess the car thinks the battery is older than it is and done a number of stop/starts so perhaps won't stop/start?
Thanks.
Here's some Vx blurb on it

"The battery sensor module is attached directly to the negative battery terminal and is used to determine the battery condition by calculating the battery state of charge, state of function, and state of health.
The battery condition is used to help determine if the 12 volt stop/start system will allow a stop/start event to occur when the vehicle has come to a stop.
The battery sensor module must be calibrated to maintain proper 12 volt start/stop operation."

Thankfully the Astra K procedure has been simplified and doesn't need a scan tool to carry out a re-set

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just in case this is helpful for anyone.

The AGM115 batteries are in short supply at the moment, and many places either don't have them or if they do have hiked the prices up. As an example, Tanya batteries completely out of stock of AGM115’s last week, and two or three weeks ago the Varta one was around £155. It is now listed as out of stock but £219.99! Halfords could not give me a date when they would get anymore and if the price would remain at £142. I rang another Vauxhall dealer just to get a price for the battery – hope you are sitting down – almost £450 with the VAT!

In the end I did what Patrick57 did and used a tyre centre – ATS and not Kwik Fit as Kwik Fit said the battery was out of stock. £196 fully fitted, plus an additional £1.99 to dispose of the old one. The chap said he had done lots before and it was done in about 15 minutes and he appeared to know what he was doing. I’m not certain if the BCM was reset a I drove the car into the bay and waited outside due to Covid, but when he called me in to start it all I had to do was reset the electric windows. Second set of traffic lights I came to and the cars stop/start system kicked in which I can only assume is a good thing.

Battery comes with a three year warranty. I’m under no illusions that it won’t last as long as the original GM Varta battery (8 years 7 months, 91K), but the three year warranty will last longer than I will likely own the car and it was the easiest and about the cheapest way of getting a battery at the moment. Morale of the story is I should have changed it last year when the stop/start system stopped operating and I knew it was on the way out rather than waiting for it to fail completely in the cold weather!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts