Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone in the North East who can fit DRL bulbs (Astra J) no problem, who I could meet up with to help me out? If not looks like I will have to give Halfords a visit to do it.

Tonto

·
Registered
963 Posts
Is there not a guide online/in the user manual? Can't imagine it being that hard.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I literally cannot get in to passenger side DRL, even had the wife out with her small hands and she couldn't either. I'm a novice with cars so taking fuse box out fully worries me lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Cemtex, thats the same guide as I followed, but I cannot get the bulb out of passenger side for the life of me... the space is too small for my hands!!

Is the fuse box difficult to remove?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Tonto,

I did these in my J 2.0 CDTi and when I upgraded 3 years on it was the first thing I did in my GTC 1.6 Turbo.

The 2.0 CDTi was the more difficult of the two as the engine bay was fuller due to the bigger Diesel lump but honestly follow the guide Cemtex has found for you and you can't go wrong!

Disconnect the battery first if you feel you need to move the fuse box, I would advise you only slacken the holding bolts though and move it slightly out to one side. You don't need to get a full hand in to remove the bulb.

1) Twist the cover cap off by placing a screwdriver in to the slots and teasing out with your fingertips.
2) Feel into the lamp with your fingertips and gently squeeze the retainer clip top and bottom whilst pulling slightly in a rocking motion. It will just pop out.
3) Replace the old bulb making sure the new one is fitted nice and tight.
4) I'd even tighten the fuse box back down (if you've slackened it off obviously), reconnect the battery and try the bulb first before popping back in.
5) Then simply pop back in the hole and again with your fingertips rock slightly up and down whilst pushing home, you will just feel it click into place.

Honestly the whole process takes about 15 minutes a side and sounds a lot harder than it actually is. Just make sure the bulb is snug in the holder and works ok before pushing home as some of the cheap replacements out there are a lose fit and we've heard of a slight few member having had bulbs fall into the headlights. Only a few mind!

Try this yourself again as when you follow the guide together with my few instructions you'll find it's dead easy.

:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks srea064, I will give it one more go today. Be my fourth or fifth time trying lol. I know what to do but just can't get my hand in enough to remove passengers drl... Will let you know how I get on (Y)

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you get stuck I could lend a hand mate. Would have to be on a night though. They are awkward when you do them for the first time. I had to use a small flat tipped screwdriver to get mine out but just found percistance was what did it, kept trying then eventually it popped out! Have you removed the washer bottle spout?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you get stuck I could lend a hand mate. Would have to be on a night though. They are awkward when you do them for the first time. I had to use a small flat tipped screwdriver to get mine out but just found percistance was what did it, kept trying then eventually it popped out! Have you removed the washer bottle spout?
Yeah mate I took spout out and fuse box lid off, still cant get hands in but going to try again today when I de-badge the car :)

Hi
When you get the twist cap off get a small screw driver and ease the cables out at the back and gently pull on them and your holder will come out.
I will give this a go, thanks mate.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had a nightmare, after removing the driver side DRL to find out resistance / force needed for removing bulb, I took bulb out and tried new drl bulb, it was a little loose so I wiggled it and the small black clip inside socket has snapped. Any advice / help please. I put original bulb back in for now as it seemed to fit back in ok.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me know when you are next over my way mate please :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts