Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i'm abit worried here. Hopefully someone can put my mind at rest. Went to my local sts tyre company this afternoon just to get a price on two new continental sports for my sport hatch. The bloke asked what size so i told him and he also asked what speed rating. I reply with ain't got a clue mate so of his chair here comes outside to check. Straight away he said i've got a crack in my tyre. Further inspection on all four tyres and they are all the same. he said i'm running on all four dangerous tyres. I was like WHAT only had the car 3 weeks. Problem is all four have cracked inside the tread. I did'nt even know this untill he showed me. I knew the two front were getting low on tread hence why i was getting a price on two but old matey is telling me i need four. Now this tyre place has form for trying to get people to have things they don't really need as to why i'm writing this thread. Just want a second opinion before i shell out the notes.

Here is a pic of one of my front tyres bearing in mind al four are like this.

All comments appreciated as always guys

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
this is very common, the tyre in the picture will STILL pass an MOT as there is no chords showing from the cracks, at a guess i would say your car is about 4 years old with approx 30K + ??
This has happened because of the age of the tyre

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is very common, the tyre in the picture will STILL pass an MOT as there is no chords showing from the cracks, at a guess i would say your car is about 4 years old with approx 30K + ??
This has happened because of the age of the tyre
You ain't far wrong Chris. Car is 3 1/2 years old and has 29k on the clock. So nothing really anything to worry about?

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
like i said they would still pass an MOT ( i personally think this is a bit naughty but there is other daft MOT rules!! ) if there like the pic but i would keep a very close eye on them and also make sure the tyre pressure's are correct

·
Registered
348 Posts
The car can be 3.5 years old but the tyres may be a lot older than that.
There's a date on the sidewalls (4 figures - month/ year) to check

Contis are noted for cracking (and some others) and if you've had them fitted yourself you can try to get the supplying garage to put in a claim, they replace the tyres, fill in a complaint for, send tyres/form to tyre wholesaler who then return them to Conti, who then decide if it's a manufacturing fault - if it is they reimberse you some money :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Cracking can be very dangerous indeed!

Depends how deep they are but if they are deep enough to allow water to ingress to the belts underneath then the mattalic belts will begin to rust and swell eventually causing a blow out.

I worked for pirelli for 10 years believe me this is true.

Get em checked out mate.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
like i said they would still pass an MOT ( i personally think this is a bit naughty but there is other daft MOT rules!! ) if there like the pic but i would keep a very close eye on them and also make sure the tyre pressure's are correct
Car rulings are made to make life easy for the mass manufacturers!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I love the daft rule about the spare tyre. If you dont have one, its not a fail. If you have one, and its flat, its a fail?!?

·
Registered
78 Posts
just to confirm,if your tyres are cracked,as in the piccy,get them replaced!they could fail at any time!there are no exceptions with cracks,be careful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts