Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post, unfortuately not a good one ?
I have a 56 plate 1.9cdti (120 hp) astravan on just under 100k, around 3 weeks ago i was driving home from a job and when crossing a large roundabout a short loss of power happened and then the van ran fine for around 300-400 yards, didn't think much of it, then when about to turn right into another road after stopping, the engine did not want to give anything at all, i made it into the side road and pulled over.

the van did not want to rev and when it did it sounded like a deep hollow sort of noise was coming from the engine. I turned the engine off and called for recovery and when the bloke arrived he tried to start the van but it wouldn't have any of it.

Iv got a mate that has numerous years as a mechanic and we done the following:
checked fuel pump was pumping fuel,
removed and cleaned egr (wasn't too bad anyway),
removed exhaust to see if dpf was stopping it,
checked injectors,
checked and cleaned the boost sensor (again wasn't too bad either)
done a diagnostics on just ignition- this showed glow plugs (3/4 were no good to man or beast so just replaced all 4),
starter motor as this had given up,
replaced battery as i believe it was on from new.

All the above done and still not starting, the van really wants to go now but just wont run!! ?
It runs for literally 1/10 of a second but thats it.

i know someone knows whats wrong iv just got to try and find them, please help!!

Gav

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,704 Posts
Crank sensor? Any issues with the rpm gauge in the car?

Or possibly the boost solenoid - would give low or no performance when it fails

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crank sensor? Any issues with the rpm gauge in the car?

Or possibly the boost solenoid - would give low or no performance when it fails

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
With the crank sensor was hoping that i could get it to at least run so i could do another diagnostic and see what it brings up. No issues with rev gauge at all. I was reading up around a week ago and something was said about the woodruff key if the crank sensor was showing a fault.....? Is there any visible checks i could do to check the boost solenoid?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you test the fuel pressure at the rail or test an injector out of position to see if the fuel is actually reaching them?
thats what me and my pal done as one of the first checks, fuel reaching them fine. Iv got a gut feeling its going to be something a bit more internal, iv just ran out of ideas as to what.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Gav, hows it going with the van? It occurred to me that the no-power, starting for a split second then dying, and hollow noise, could be your EGR has jammed wide open?
A bit of an update,
a mechanic has stuck to his word and popped round last night, done a diagnostics while trying to start and fuel pressure wasnt stable at all and died off really rapidly. He said he'll pop back the weekend and do a check on injectors and meanwhile iv changed the fuel filter as this could be something that wont help the situation. Just tried my luck and im getting more than i was when trying to start it before. So looking up at the moment.

How can i check for egr jammed open? We did take it apart and cleaned and all seems good but im off work today so dont mind taking off again and having another look. Im fairly handy with engines but my diesel knowledge is fairly limited.

thanks so far for your suggestions, much appreciated

·
Registered
120 Posts
They can be a b1tch to prime. You should fill these filters to the brim before fitting and even then you can get an airlock.

EGR, the side cover should come off and you can see the arm, its curved and goes to a stop.

Closed...

Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Carburetor

Open...

Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Stiff flaps? OOOOh suits you Sir!
People Close-up Head Nose Photography

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They can be a b1tch to prime. You should fill these filters to the brim before fitting and even then you can get an airlock.
final update hopefully!!! It was indeed the fuel filter it seems!

On friday i changed the fuel filter and added a fuel additive, as advised by this mechanic, i also re-checked the egr (egr fine) i tried to start after changing the fuel filter and it was giving more but still not starting, if that makes sense...? Decided i would wait till the mechanic came and checked injectors, tonight was that time. I was inside and had left the key with the van as i had to go out this evening. Mechanic turned up and i recieved a text asking if i was in and could i hear an engine............my van!?!?!?! Indeed it was ��. Turns out that the clogged filter was enough to make the van extremely poorly and there must have been an airlock that has bled itself out. Still checked injectors and one of them is slightly out but all should be good. He advised to keep using injector cleaner for the coming months and to monitor how the van runs.

i spose moral of the story is, check and double check the simple things first.

thanks for all the advice and hopefully i can help out and be as good to other users as what you guys have been to me ��

·
Registered
120 Posts
Brilliant! Really glad it's running. Yeah, Sherlock Holmes said eliminate all possibilities, and what ever you're left with, however improbable, must be the truth.

Enough waffle, good that it was something straightforward. Usually is. Well done mate, I'm sure we're all happy to help, and I know if my car was broken I'd hope someone would help me till it worked. The power of many....and of the forum. Result bro!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.