Astra Owners Network banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I had a delivery just after lunch today. Just as Homeofthejack the unit is simple to install. I installed the GPS unit up on the dash where the centre speaker lives - I was out to pick my daughter up from school at 3pm! Sorry no pictures....

Mine came with a lovely white Mondeo on the home screen and buggered around in the menus and managed to change it to an Astra.

Everything comes in km/h as previously said, again I found the setting to change this but the homescreen speedo then shows in increments of 18.6mph rather than recalibrating to decent mph increments so I changed this back.

The door opening icon was also wrong but playing deep in the settings rectified this.

Strangely my indicators and warning noises now do not exist - I haven't figured this one out yet....

The radio is FM and I am going to purchase the USB dongle to use DAB+. The climate controls are across the bottom of my screen all the time, you can turn these off in the settings if you wish and it shows the time/day/date instead.

I would be interested to see what settings Homeofthejack has on his unit as a comparison.
It sounds like my indicators sound comes from behind the radio. I got a speaker with mine thsts connected and behind the radio so I think they are coming from that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like my indicators sound comes from behind the radio. I got a speaker with mine thsts connected and behind the radio so I think they are coming from that.
Oh, I didn't receive anything like a speaker with mine. I don't suppose you have any pictures of said speaker?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device i

I changed mine to this model in settings at the moment. And the ac controls just sit round the volume at the bottom rather than popping up. I never managed to change khm to mph or the car picture yet. However I am playing around wirh some other apps. One called car mode which has a basic layout with mph a compass and the time at the top then 6 apps for quick access under. Going to try install a different android launcher and see if can get any good widgets to make a nice gome screen. Also going to try and do a video soon.

So far still happy it's quick and responsive. Just taking abit of time to get it set up in a way I like. It's abit awkward to use as have to sit there with engine running to keep the car charged.

My only issue with it is the glare that I get from the window at the top of the screen. It's not a big issue but is abit hard to read the time and temperature because of it. But thsts partly down to my driving position if I say closer it reduces it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you get a reverse camera?

I need help to get it wired in. I some guy just quoted me 250 to install the reverse camera and didn't know to laugh or cry.

Got the wire running from the radio to the back of the car just don't know how best to get power to the camera.
I haven't purchased a reverse camera yet, I was waiting to see how the unit was before I got one. The one I've been looking at just needs wiring to the reverse bulb, apparently, and will send a signal to the unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't purchased a reverse camera yet, I was waiting to see how the unit was before I got one. The one I've been looking at just needs wiring to the reverse bulb, apparently, and will send a signal to the unit.
When I put my car in reverse it changes the screen to a black screen with reverse lines.i guess when the camera is connected thst will show up instead of the black screen

·
Registered
36 Posts
Recommend this app irs called car launcher and I paid for the pro version. Can do so much to customise the screen. Its abit fiddly to work with depending what you want to do but I think it looks good and can edit it in so many ways to make it how you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed my unit on Tuesday and it had been faultless. This afternoon it decided to reboot, wipe and erase all data and some of the apps!

I have not had chance to check everything out yet..... to say that I'm slightly pi$$ed would be an understatement! :mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's slightly concerning... I have had a few little issues with music and stuff but I think it's cause of the launcher I used. Just sometimes has a delay in swapping tracks or starting to play them.

Apart from that it's all been good and pleased with it.

Do have concerns with it being like a cheap Chinese radio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes that's the speaker. I believe that's what's making the noises for indicators and seat belt warning and things like that.
I'm still in a battle with the seller as the unit I received is a lower spec than I ordered and theres still no solution or explanation for the data wipe.

On a positive note the missing speaker has arrived and so has a reverse camera. I'll get around to fitting these when time allows.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To be honest I never checked the specs matched up with the one I got. I'm getting the reverse cam fitted next week. Don't fancy doing it myself

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you can figure out how to change what's on the notification bar at the top that be good. Ideally I want it to tell me the outside temp and the mobile signal strength not bothered about anything else being on there. I'm sure I saw a way to turn the volume off from showing up there but can't find it now

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you get the dash cam with the weird purple connection? Any idea what connection it is I want to see if can buy a longer lead and use it as a rear dash cam as already got a front one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you get the dash cam with the weird purple connection? Any idea what connection it is I want to see if can buy a longer lead and use it as a rear dash cam as already got a front one.
No, my dashcam just has the yellow RCA connection. I've still not fitted it yet, nor the warning buzzer/speaker.

I must pull my finger out!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mines got a USB one end then goes to a purple connector and then the camera plugs into that. It's small and round and got 4 or 5 pins inside so it's fitted so will only connect one way. Never seen one before but need some sort of extension as it's to short otherwise.

So far so good though. The customer service has been great too.

I wish could edit the top bar though. Just remove the volume part or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get a reverse camera?

I need help to get it wired in. I some guy just quoted me 250 to install the reverse camera and didn't know to laugh or cry.

Got the wire running from the radio to the back of the car just don't know how best to get power to the camera.
I realise this is a late response but, you can power the camera from the reverse trigger wire from the back of the stereo. I haven't received mine yet but it looks like you can power it from that wire and avoid using the reverse lights wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had a delivery just after lunch today. Just as Homeofthejack the unit is simple to install. I installed the GPS unit up on the dash where the centre speaker lives - I was out to pick my daughter up from school at 3pm! Sorry no pictures....

Mine came with a lovely white Mondeo on the home screen and buggered around in the menus and managed to change it to an Astra.

Everything comes in km/h as previously said, again I found the setting to change this but the homescreen speedo then shows in increments of 18.6mph rather than recalibrating to decent mph increments so I changed this back.

The door opening icon was also wrong but playing deep in the settings rectified this.

Strangely my indicators and warning noises now do not exist - I haven't figured this one out yet....

The radio is FM and I am going to purchase the USB dongle to use DAB+. The climate controls are across the bottom of my screen all the time, you can turn these off in the settings if you wish and it shows the time/day/date instead.

I would be interested to see what settings Homeofthejack has on his unit as a comparison.

Hey guys,

I'm just after buying myself an 2014 astra saloon and am wondering if its worth my while upgrading to one of these head units? How are you guys finding it a few months after install? Worth the investment?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts