Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time in three weeks the alternator's failed on my 1.7cdti.

Quest Maldon are fitting another alternator though I'm not convinced it's the alternator at fault here.

Anyone else got any similar experiences with alternators packing up?

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
Mine packed in around 6 months ago, got a new one and my brother fitted it. Since then not had any problems. (touch wood)

Second time in 3 weeks seems very odd, is it getting done under warranty?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I was three weeks outside Network Q warranty and hadn't got round to renewing it. Needless to say, the dealer couldn't find a way around it, but did offer to fit a recon alternator from a local supplier instead of a VX recon one. £450 + vat for a VX recon vs £150 + vat for a non VX one.

It never ran quite the same and had a strange hissing sound. Vacuum pump leak maybe?

They have changed it this time FOC though as the alternator has a warranty on it.

I wonder if there's something else that could be making this happen. When it first starts going wrong, I get the battery light come up and it goes off after restarting, then comes on again after a few minutes. Eventually, it's on all the time and the usual happens (steering goes, dials go mad and the engine dies)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd be tempted to follow Lashed's suggestion... I had a very similar problem in February, I started a thread asking what the forum thought and the majority suggested it was the battery, but I new better. Well until the local dealer TOLD me they'd changed the battery... and it's been okay since! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it had a new battery when the first and original alternator went about three weeks ago.
Got it back from the dealer last night with a third alternator on it, it's making a whining, groaning sound in line with the speed of the engine and it sounds like the belt is slipping under engine load, rather than electrical load.:confused:
Why does this have to be so difficult to get right?! :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts