Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 57-plate Astra H two months ago.

I checked the tyres pressures two weeks ago and the front were bad (around 20 each), but the back two were on 10 each!

We got all four back up to 30 each and checked again last night.

Now they're at (after two weeks):

• Passenger front: 25
  • Passenger rear: 22
  • Driver front: 18
  • Driver rear: 22
I intend to get them all changed this weekend, as they're in need of changing anyway (the car passed its MOT two months ago but I still think they need changing as they're all quite bald in my opinion)

Any idea why they're going down so quickly?

I am concerned that all four will get changed this weekend and the problem will remain, if it's a wheel issue or something.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Could be corrosion of your alloys preventing a proper seal around the bead. Once had this on a Laguna II.

If that is the case they should spot this when they change the tyres and sort it for you.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Any decent tyre place will tell you if there is an issue with the wheels. It's more likely to be knackered tyres or knackered valves.

Another thing to consider is that 30psi is too low and you could be accelerating their deflation by not filling them correctly. You are also causing them to wear prematurely.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Any decent tyre place will tell you if there is an issue with the wheels. It's more likely to be knackered tyres or knackered valves.

Another thing to consider is that 30psi is too low and you could be accelerating their deflation by not filling them correctly. You are also causing them to wear prematurely.
The owner's manual states 30psi for all four tyres.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I wouldn't worry for now, get the rims stripped and have the fitters check the rims out, no doubt they'll possibly need a little fettling where the bead sits and then see. It could be that the valves aren't seated right.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Which wheels have you got on the 16's or 17's or 18's? What size tyres?
If he says the tyre pressures are 30 psi all round, then they must be 16" (205/55 R16). That's the only tyre size for a 1.6 engine with 30 psi recommendation (for up to 3 people) that I can see in a 2007 handbook.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If he says the tyre pressures are 30 psi all round, then they must be 16" (205/55 R16). That's the only tyre size for a 1.6 engine with 30 psi recommendation (for up to 3 people) that I can see in a 2007 handbook.
I'm not sure what size they are.

The tyres say 205/55.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
There must be another number immediately after those two, as per big daves post above
eg mine sre 225x40x18 - 225mm wide, 40mm profile (tar to rim), 18"diameter.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You have tyres " on the way" I assume you have arranged for a tyre fitter to sort these out or is a mate doing them?
Quality of tyre always counts too with holding pressure and sitting nice on the rim.
What brand of tyres have you ordered?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Did a quick sesrch, they sell the tyres and have a mobile fitting service- "at a time to suit you sir" hope they know how to deal with alloys or the rims may end up worse and leak even quicker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts