Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a Scorpion cat back exhaust fitted (sounds sweet) and to go with it i had a cone filter and i removed the air box etc..... But after speaking to a few car tuning nuts they said that i would probably get more power out of the standard box with a panel filter.

So i now have the standard air box with a pipercross filter. Whats better the panel filter or a cone induction kit?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
you will avoid heatsoak with a panel filter, and they are a lot quieter than an open cone.

i doubt you will get any noticeable difference in power

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you will avoid heatsoak with a panel filter, and they are a lot quieter than an open cone.

i doubt you will get any noticeable difference in power
When i had the cone it seemed a bit quicker but i dont know wether that was just a perception due to the sound or not.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
personally, id say its the sound making you think its faster :lol: at least thats what i thought with mine, i use a few roads where i know what speed i should be at at certain points and couldnt tell any difference there

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yer thats what i thought and if any thing it seems to run at lower revs on the motor way

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yer thats what i thought and if any thing it seems to run at lower revs on the motor way

Lol the filter cant change the gearing ;-)

I done back to back dyno tests with panel and cone in my vxr and cone was better. Heat soak isn't the issue it's the amount of air it can flow. In general, The bigger the surface area of the filter the better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didnt say it changed the gearing its due to the fact that there is a restriction in air flow therefore the engine has to work harder ie more revs.

·
15,092 Posts
Surely that wouldn't work? If the gearing is fixed speed A at engine gives speed B at the wheels. Otherwise there's a hell of a lot of clutch slip :sus:

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
Open cones sounds nice but can suffer from heat soak causing power loss, I used to get a flat spot at 4k revs on my 2.0 mk4 astra.

De-restricted airbox will give better flow and keep the air cool, can upgrade the intake pipe to allow more ait through and sticking a performance panel filter in will help even more.

The difference in power will be minimal though, just depends on how bad the car responds to sucking in hot air.

·
Registered
40,498 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i have a de-restricted airbox with a pipercross panel filter in at the moment so ill stick to that for a while i think

·
Registered
236 Posts
Didnt say it changed the gearing its due to the fact that there is a restriction in air flow therefore the engine has to work harder ie more revs.

Surely that wouldn't work? If the gearing is fixed speed A at engine gives speed B at the wheels. Otherwise there's a hell of a lot of clutch slip :sus:
Exactly lol, wheels gearbox and engine are directly linked, the only way to alter the revs at a given speed is either change gear or change the gearing of a certain gear ;-)

Might feel like it pulls better or that you need slightly less throttle but won't change the revs :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts