Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys was just wanting to ask what the deal is with people that have lowered their h's, mines lowered by about 30mm and the back wheels are fine and even wearing.
The front wheels seem to be adjusted but at too aggressive a camber. The front tyres are wearing a lot more on the inner edge. Is there anything I can do or get that 'straightens' the wheels a bit so they don't wear as much? Cheers

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Tracking will need to be done.dropping 30mm isn't a big drop but nonetheless camber angles and more importantly toe angle will have changed. Its not so much camber that causes excessive wear but toe angle. Get the tracking redone so the front wheels are at the correct toe and you will be fine. Would always be done when lowing a car.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tracking will need to be done.dropping 30mm isn't a big drop but nonetheless camber angles and more importantly toe angle will have changed. Its not so much camber that causes excessive wear but toe angle. Get the tracking redone so the front wheels are at the correct toe and you will be fine. Would always be done when lowing a car.
Might try a different place to get them adjusted then, so there shouldn't be any problems with 'straightening' the wheels again. Had them car aligned as soon as it was lowered but always thought the front wheels never looked right, plus with the wear going on they can't be. Cheers

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I have bad toe out and i've destroyed 5 tires in 2 months lol

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Just make sure you take it to a trustworthy place to get the tracking checked, when I lowered mine and put some camber onto the front, the place I took it blagged me about the tracking, I didn't realise it at the time as I was working away alot but when I checked the tyres one day I saw alot heavier wear on one side. I expected wear from the camber but not like it was. Needless to say I got it retracked elsewhere straight away and its calmed down and just rotated the tyres round front to back

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have the same issue. My camber is well off using prokit springs - I had the tracking sorted and the place told me about the camber. I've now bought some camber bolts to adjust this out. What should the camber be (for optimum tyre wear, not for track days?!). Can I just set it to 0? Or should go for -0.5?

You can get the Eibach camber adjustment bolts from LMF. I'm fitting mine this weekend.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well just been to kwik fit and my tracking was out on one wheel by nearly an inch on the machine! so that wont help lol but I was under the impression that tracking is to do with toe in and out and not camber??

·
Registered
496 Posts
Were they not able to advise on what your camber was? Did you get a print out from them?

I'm going to measure and adjust mine using an iPhone spirit level app - which appears to be surprisingly accurate.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were they not able to advise on what your camber was? Did you get a print out from them?

I'm going to measure and adjust mine using an iPhone spirit level app - which appears to be surprisingly accurate.
they didnt really go through it that much with me but the guy said something like 0 to 1.6 was the adjustment that it should have been for an astra?? but to me even now its done the wheels at the front still visibly look at a heck of an angle....feels loads better now so dunno. confused.com to me if the wheels are at such an angle visibly to me that would mean wear on the inner edge.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
they didnt really go through it that much with me but the guy said something like 0 to 1.6 was the adjustment that it should have been for an astra?? but to me even now its done the wheels at the front still visibly look at a heck of an angle....feels loads better now so dunno. confused.com to me if the wheels are at such an angle visibly to me that would mean wear on the inner edge.
Personally, after my last two dealings with Kwik Fit, I will be staying away from them from here on out due to them not having a clue in both places I've been of theirs and the second most recent one where they lied to my face (and took my money for a non-provided service)in which they claimed they had corrected my tracking when they hadn't even touched it. I'd try find a garage that you trust the mechanics if I were you

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thought id bring this up again as im still not right.....
had my tracking done by a different place (cant mind the name) and all was well. but ive just checked my tyres again the other day and the inner edge is STILL wearing a hell of a lot more than the outer.
when you look at the car side on the front wheels seem to have too much negative(think its negative) camber and surely thats whats causing the excessive wear?
if a garage is adjusting my wheels surely its different to standard aswell? as its been lowered? getting really annoying as cant afford to go though tyres like this! is it because they cannot adjust it enough or do i need to add something? help!

·
Registered
422 Posts
thought id bring this up again as im still not right.....
had my tracking done by a different place (cant mind the name) and all was well. but ive just checked my tyres again the other day and the inner edge is STILL wearing a hell of a lot more than the outer.
when you look at the car side on the front wheels seem to have too much negative(think its negative) camber and surely thats whats causing the excessive wear?
if a garage is adjusting my wheels surely its different to standard aswell? as its been lowered? getting really annoying as cant afford to go though tyres like this! is it because they cannot adjust it enough or do i need to add something? help!
Toe-in (or out) and camber are two entirely different things. They refer to the postion of the wheels relative to either the vertical or horizontal axis. If you lower the car the arc of the lower suspension arm moves the bottom wishbone ball joint out and so increases the negative camber. Negative camber is where the tops of tyres lean in towards the centre of the car. It's designed that way to improve grip when the car corners. That's the effect you're seeing. Whilst toe-in is adjustable via the track rod ends (and always worth checking after suspension work), the camber is not adjustable. Negative camber will tend to wear the inside edges of the tyres. It certainly causes uneven wear on the back of my car where the wheels have negative camber. If it's a problem then the after market camber adjustment bolts referred to above can be used. You'd need a proper tracking company to set the camber bolts up - not just an outfit with a toe-in gauge!

MM

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Toe-in (or out) and camber are two entirely different things. They refer to the postion of the wheels relative to either the vertical or horizontal axis. If you lower the car the arc of the lower suspension arm moves the bottom wishbone ball joint out and so increases the negative camber. Negative camber is where the tops of tyres lean in towards the centre of the car. It's designed that way to improve grip when the car corners. That's the effect you're seeing. Whilst toe-in is adjustable via the track rod ends (and always worth checking after suspension work), the camber is not adjustable. Negative camber will tend to wear the inside edges of the tyres. It certainly causes uneven wear on the back of my car where the wheels have negative camber. If it's a problem then the after market camber adjustment bolts referred to above can be used. You'd need a proper tracking company to set the camber bolts up - not just an outfit with a toe-in gauge!

MM
yea thats bang on what im talking about, wheels are leaning into the car at the top. like you say will need to find a place that knows what they are doing/has the equipment but I am yet to find anyone! when i talk to them about it they just look at me like im speaking another language. i bought these camber ajustment bolts when I did the lowering of the car but have no idea wether they were fitted or not. gunna have to get hunting....

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Mines lowered but Iv gone for optimum performance and mines cambered in a fair bit

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mines lowered but Iv gone for optimum performance and mines cambered in a fair bit
so is the tyre wear fairly normal for a lowered car? how does yours get on? might just have to live with it eh? dont want a 4x4 astra again so will just live with it!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Mines has all setup properly by regal.

If its tracked to the OEM specs there should be no ab normal wear

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
you may need camber bolts and a a garage that will adjust the camber too. most garages wont touch the camber but make sure you ask

you will only need camber bolts using non camber adjusting hub mountings (the bit on the bottom off the shock the 2 bolts go through). if one hole is more like a banana then its adjustable but standard or lowering shocks dont. generaly speaking, coilovers do (Y)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts