Astra Owners Network banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got a pair of monroe rear shocks for 60 quid for the pair
Also i put on a set of g-max springs drop a standard astra h by 35 mm but as mine is also sri spec it dropped it 20mm comes with 3 year warranty
Hmmm i may be interested if you have each corner, 4 of ??

am thinking of doing the same to my 1.9 cdti sri, this will be an interesting thread

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
35mm APEX lowering spring, getting them fitted this week, what are the pros and cons for lowering springs?

and i will only see another drop of 20mm right as sri are already 15mm lowered ?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Pro is car looks lower and corners great
Con is tyres go on the inside due to camber and if your too low speed bumps or curbs when parking etc so becarefull

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Pro is car looks lower and corners great
Con is tyres go on the inside due to camber and if your too low speed bumps or curbs when parking etc so becarefull
Best to fit camber bolts so you can adjust it properly and should have better tyre wear

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it, how much would that cost me for putting the camber bolts on? Also will be careful on the bumps (Y)

Thanks tye_time, how long ago you had spring on your car and did you notice any tyre wear on the inside?

I will be doing what BigDov said go back to the garage after few weeks to check the alignment before I spend any more money

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,715 Posts
fit the bolts yourself( they cost about 18 quid for the powerflex ones or 20 for the eibach ones, both do the same job) and you will have the strut off for doing the springs anyway, still got to fit my bolts at some point and get the tracking redone to suit, that way you only get charged for the tracking adjustment and not the labour costs for fitting the bolts which some places will charge you for fitting them.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
my car is in garage at the moment as i had other bits to be fitted, i am also looking to get the wheel spacers done not to much just little bit all around but have no idea how much off MM (size) would i need to get for front and back, BigDov i was reading one of your comments can't remember where but you mentioned getting wheel spacers eliminates the inside of tyre wear ? also if you or anyone could advice on the pros and cons of wheel spacers please?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it, how much would that cost me for putting the camber bolts on? Also will be careful on the bumps

Thanks tye_time, how long ago you had spring on your car and did you notice any tyre wear on the inside?
To be honest I think the tyres were already worn slightly on the inside before I fitted the springs so it's hard to tell! Had my springs on about 400 miles, about 2 months or so. I think they've got worse though since. Never had my alignment done since owning my car which I got a year ago :lol: will take it this weekend to get it checked and the wheels balanced as it shakes a bit when going 70mph

·
27,715 Posts
my car is in garage at the moment as i had other bits to be fitted, i am also looking to get the wheel spacers done not to much just little bit all around but have no idea how much off MM (size) would i need to get for front and back, BigDov i was reading one of your comments can't remember where but you mentioned getting wheel spacers eliminates the inside of tyre wear ? also if you or anyone could advice on the pros and cons of wheel spacers please?

Thanks in advance
Don't think that's been me, have commented on a few wheel spacer threads, but mostly saying the same thing about rubbing on full lock if your lowered( mines rubs reversing out of its parking space and that's unspaced) or catching the arches when the suspension is compressed.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
27,715 Posts
ah that wasn't in relation to wear, its how the wheel sits in the arch when its lowered especially at the front as the camber brings the wheel into the arch and people want the wheel to sit in line with the arch, which is where the spacer comes in.

Anything between 5 and 10mm will bring the wheels out of the arch without any issues.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
ohh okay, thanks anyway tye_time

Bigdov: So that means i can have wheel spacer done and tyre or wheel won't be rubbing anything while doing U turn, 3 point turn or parking wise right?

i might be asking silly questions but i don't know anything about them. Any kind of help will be great before i get the things done and learn something new

Regards

·
27,715 Posts
You might get rubbing on full lock, all depends on how the geometry of the suspension, how much it's lowered by, width of the wheels ect ect

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Aahhh, well SRI are already lowered by 15mm and springs that i have are 35mm so i will see another 20mm drop with them springs, 18" panta alloys, 225/40R18 W (92)

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
well got the springs fitted and after driving for a day i have notice that on the right hand side there is clunk noise or its seams like something moves while going over the bumps only on right side

do i meant to hear the clunk noise once the lowering springs are fitted?

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
well got the springs fitted and after driving for a day i have notice that on the right hand side there is clunk noise or its seams like something moves while going over the bumps only on right side

do i meant to hear the clunk noise once the lowering springs are fitted?
Usually a clunk noise is the drop links. May be worth checking if you have any play in them.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
i have got the drop links changed recently, but the noise weren't there before the springs got changed.. this is different clunk noise, me and the garage guy took the car for a drive and the guy noticed the noise he said he will have a look on Monday once i dropped the car back to them, but i though i could ask here before hand what could be the issue,

21 - 40 of 61 Posts