Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i am looking to get my cars front and rear springs changed, is it a good idea to get the APEX Lowering kit from eurocarparts for the Astra H, 2008, 1.9 CDTI, Sri, 5 door? or shall i just get standard springs?

Also want to get the rear shock absorber changed, can tell the rear shocks are in bad condition --(Anschler shock absorber) from eurocarparts any good?

Thanks

·
Registered
849 Posts
How much does that all come to, because demon tweeks have a sale on suspension, the koni shocks with matched h&r springs is only 330? And that would do all 4 shocks rather than just your back ones and would put be better than standard anyway

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
The springs are good but as for the shockers I never bought shockers for the car was it the cheapest on the list?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
£114 - 35mm lowering, lowering spring set - 4pcs (front and back)

Standard springs costs: £52 each spring for front and £42 each spring for rear

Anschler Shock Absorber (Rear Left & Right) Part No.: 635720241, Anschler Shock Absorber (Rear Left & Right) Was £52.20 and Now £36.60

I have got front right side Shock changed few months ago but will also get the front left side Shock changed to make it equal

how lowered is the Standard Astra H Sri, 1.9, 5 Door, would be at the moment

and getting it even lowered by putting the 35mm springs all around would it be okay? (which is little bit difference in lowering right)

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
SRi is lowered by 15mm over a normal Astra. 35mm will be fine for daily use. I'd personally pay a little bit extra and get the Eibach Prokit instead, but Apex are one of the bigger brands from what I've seen so they should be fine.

Can't comment on the shocks though, not heard of that brand. Are there any other options available?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
other options are KYB Shock Absorber and Bilstein Shock Absorber £45 each for rear

how much are the Eibach springs (where can i get them from) and are they better then the APEX ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
other options are KYB Shock Absorber and Bilstein Shock Absorber £45 each for rear

how much are the Eibach springs (where can i get them from) and are they better then the APEX ?
Demon Tweeks are probably the best place to get Eibach springs from, and the Bilstein dampers.

Eibach are one of the best lowering springs on the market IMO

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah thats not too much of a low, go to the astra h subsection of forum and click on the suspension sticky, is great thread for getting idea of how car looks lowered at what amount, id agree eibach and bilstein are probably better but they can be really pricey, just find the koni/h&r good value for money and seem to get good reviews. If you're not in too much of a rush to buy i have them sat at home waiting to go on, they'll be on next week can give you a proper review

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i don't want to lower too much, 30mm-35mm would be fine, i would probely get APEX or Eibach ones.. once i make up my mind :p

can anyone advice on better and not too expensive shocks please?

·
Registered
675 Posts
i don't want to lower too much, 30mm-35mm would be fine, i would probely get APEX or Eibach ones.. once i make up my mind :p

Could get hold of some second hand VXR shocks?

·
Registered
259 Posts

I got a pair of monroe rear shocks for 60 quid for the pair
Also i put on a set of g-max springs drop a standard astra h by 35 mm but as mine is also sri spec it dropped it 20mm comes with 3 year warranty

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
I'd actually be interested to know how much they do genuinely drop by on a 5 door SRi model... From factory, the SRi is listed as 15mm lower than a normal Astra, but I've seen some springs say that the quoted drop is on an SRi, others don't mention it... so makes me wonder if, say for example, a 30mm spring is 30mm or 15mm on an SRi. I don't think I've ever seen someone actually measure the difference of before and after fitted & settled.

I'm sure I've also heard someone say they dropped their standard Astra on springs and it was more like 60mm instead of the quoted 30mm.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'd actually be interested to know how much they do genuinely drop by on a 5 door SRi model... From factory, the SRi is listed as 15mm lower than a normal Astra, but I've seen some springs say that the quoted drop is on an SRi, others don't mention it... so makes me wonder if, say for example, a 30mm spring is 30mm or 15mm on an SRi. I don't think I've ever seen someone actually measure the difference of before and after fitted & settled.

I'm sure I've also heard someone say they dropped their standard Astra on springs and it was more like 60mm instead of the quoted 30mm.
Id also be interested in this, only want to lower my SRI by about 15mm. So if thats what the 30mm springs drop mine id be happy

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Id also be interested in this, only want to lower my SRI by about 15mm. So if thats what the 30mm springs drop mine id be happy
Another option would be VXR springs as the VXR is a further 15mm lower than a standard sporthatch from factory. All sporthatches had the 15mm lower "sport suspension". It was only the 5 door & estate models where you had the differences between SXi, SRi and everything else.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Another option would be VXR springs as the VXR is a further 15mm lower than a standard sporthatch from factory. All sporthatches had the 15mm lower "sport suspension". It was only the 5 door & estate models where you had the differences between SXi, SRi and everything else.
If its true the VXR is 15mm lower than the SRI then thats what I would go for, Ive not seen anyone confirm how much lower it was before

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Yeah, it is 15mm. This doesn't apply to every car as it takes into account the weight of the VXR engine, so if you fitted them to a 1.6 for example, you may find that it doesn't sit quite as low.

In your case though, you have a 2.0T which should be almost exactly the same as the VXR engine weight so you should get the same sort of level.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 61 Posts