Astra Owners Network banner

Active Sub Woofer

316 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  planetse 
#1 ·
I have a Fli 12" Active sub woofer installed.
I fitted it 5 months ago and went through the rigors of slowly breaking it in by waiting for 30 hours of use before attempting to get any real volume from it.

I have it on about 1/2 chat at most, it adds a good all round effect to the listening experience, bear in mind I'm an old fart and I don't play drum 'n bass, I listen to 80's stuff.

Anyway, I turned up a tune at the weekend and the distortion was horrific, I am positive that I have used the setup way beyond what i turned it up to. I checked all the settings etc wiring and even had a look inside the box for blown amplifier chips but no, nothing.

How would you guys rate this unit, it's still under warranty, should I get another or ask for my money back and get something else?

I do like the fact that it's an all in one unit, amp and speaker in a box.

#6 ·
There are 3 pots
1 for the filter, not moved set to high freq response
one for the gain set at 75% 4db
and one for the amp O/P set at about 60%

None of these have moved for months.

I have now fiddled with them and when the amp O/P is set to more than 60% it distorts the O/P.

#8 ·
I know

I set mine to high so as it isn't just a boom box and it adds as much as possible to the whole freq range. I spent several hours altering the settings to get something that sounded half decent not just BOOM BOOM THUMP THUMP.

It's obviously limited to what it can react to by design. So I assume that the pot has a limited function and it worked well for my ears on the HIGH setting.

But I get what you are saying Tony.

#10 ·
Playing higher frequencies through a subwoofer will lead to the voice coil overheating, not good.

Also sound bloody awful.

In your first post you use the term “volume” a subwoofer will not add volume. I have a feeling you need your amp and head unit setting up properly. If you’re not using the proper electronic equipment, you need a good ear that can distinguish clipping and tone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.