Astra Owners Network banner

Activate trip computer?- astra j (1.7 cdti exclusiv)

47K views 194 replies 79 participants last post by  Brothercrow 
#1 ·
Can anyone advise if it is possible to have the trip computer activated on a new shape Astra J Exclusiv? I believe such things are done wirelessly via a web browser.

Everything seems to be in place in terms of display and buttons but not sure if the internal gubbins are there. I was told by a local Vauxhall garage that it was not possible but am somewhat sceptical as they would say that wouldn't they!

Just got my new Astra last week and loving it so far other than it's lack of trip computer and alloys (sorting the alloys issue though with the 10 spoke 17" wheels on order). Interior is stunning.

Cheers,

A_M

#3 ·
the problem is with the astra j is that there is no option to alter anything it downloads a file to the car through TIS2WEB and thats linked to the vin and the spec of the car. cars with trip have a different indicator stalk iirc and the dials are different with a larger screen

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like its a no go then. Pity, it's the only thing I feel I'm missing since changing from the Astra H.

I dont think the screen on the Exclusiv is any different from the SRi, etc and you can make out the words on the screen relating to consumption, etc.

#8 ·
Your quite right DarkBahamut. Thanks to you and Scrooge for your informative posts. What your saying Scrooge seems to tie in with a "Parameter Set" message that a local Diagnostic firm (AutoVaux) got when they connected the car to TIS2WEB . It just seems a bit odd that the display seems to be able to show "mpg" and "avg".

Does anyone know if an upgrade of displays is feasible and, if so, remotely affordable?

#10 ·
Problem is at the moment Tis2Web is painfully slow at times so by the time you have done a 0.3 hr BCM recall you cant be arsed with it anymore and you want to throw it on the floor and walk away.
I was thinking things could be changed but you would have to fit new parts like IPC/Radio/Screen etc just to get what you want but then you have to "prepare module for removal" them programme it and after that do "configuration and setup" This can take a while :mad::mad::mad: I believe the last part is where you can add and delete things like on the H with "variant configuration" but the problem is that you can not see whats in it as the file goes through the "silver box" and onto where it needs to be.

#11 ·
With the Astra H, we're down to the level of going straight to eeprom (direct to the chip holding the settings) to bypass any limits the diagnostic device puts in the way. The needle sweep thing has been done already (by Pecky), and I'm pretty close to changing CD30's into CD30 mp3's. I no longer need pass codes to do cruise control etc.

If there's nothing you can set in MDI for variant config, the motivation to do this straight away on the J is going to be strong.

All I would need is one display without it activated and one with it activated, comparing dumps should tell me what bits need changing in the memory. Then it's just a case of soldering the chip back in.

#12 ·
One of the problems are if it has the up level screen it will come with the board computer anyway. So things like retro fitting cruise and auto locking are becoming a thing of the past as they come standard with it now. The insignia has a basic looking display on the IPC that has a trip computer thats a bit like a BID on an Astra H. The Astra J does not have a display like this fitted to any of the IPC's. The radio display does not show the board computer like in the old days so this might be a bit of a lost cause.
i have not looked into the settings on the MDi so i can not say if there is anything to alter in it but to me its a glorified CanDi box for a Tech 2 :lol:

#13 ·
I cant post images as yet (too much of a newbie I guess), but here is a list of the characters on the Exclusiv display:

Top left a large figure of 8 which I guess can show any number and it can show diagonal lines too.

An oil can icon with %, a snow flake, an open book,

Below that "km/l mph" "LIM" circle with line through it

Below that "km/h" "l/100km" "Moyenne" Petrol Tank icon "Avg"

Below that "km" "miles" Trip Distance

Below that "8888:88"

Below that Odometer

They MUST have some use?

#23 ·
Screens are same size, but that is the mid-level display. The up-level display is a lcd matrix, with different pages 1-8. That is showing fixed fields.

All cars have the stalk, so you can acknowledge any message code in the display.

Need to find an Opel owners manual to show you what functions are available in that display type, as it isn't an option according to the Vaux manual.

#25 ·
Stampede or Scrooge might be able to confirm, but I think the Astra J uses TIS2WEB and not Tech2.

When AutoVaux in East Kilbride looked at the car and hooked it up to TIS2WEB, the mechanic said that all options to configure the settings were greyed out and he couldnt get beyond this screen to activate anything. He was going to see if he could find out if there was a hack or whatever but I haven't heard back as yet.

Really hoping it will be somehow possible but am realistic enough to accept it might not be in the short term. I'm sure it took time to get into the setting for the Astra H.

#26 ·
Stampede or Scrooge might be able to confirm, but I think the Astra J uses TIS2WEB and not Tech2.

When AutoVaux in East Kilbride looked at the car and hooked it up to TIS2WEB, the mechanic said that all options to configure the settings were greyed out and he couldnt get beyond this screen to activate anything. He was going to see if he could find out if there was a hack or whatever but I haven't heard back as yet.

Really hoping it will be somehow possible but am realistic enough to accept it might not be in the short term. I'm sure it took time to get into the setting for the Astra H.
That no issue as I have TIS2WEB access and already use it with T2 for Astra H etc.

In fact, TIS2WEB has T2 upgrade support to :thumbs:

#28 ·
I've got an MDI and globalTIS which in theory can do everything Tis2Web can do, just offline.

I'd love to give it a try to see what can be done on the Astra J/Insignia if anything. Just don't know anyone with one

Pecky, If you do happen to get access locally to an Astra J, and get anywhere with the trip computer issue, I (and no doubt a good few other AON users) would be most interested if you posted your results. Could be a lucrative seam of Exclusiv users waiting to be tapped into!!!! :nah:

#29 ·
i honestly cant see this being possible via MDI and tis2web i looked and spoke to a special friend who was part of the original development team for Global A vehicles to try and find a way to display and opc logo on an insignia cid screen instead of vx griffin and he too said that all the config files are vin locked to the car. There is no area for variant config to alter any settings.

I recently changed a cid screen in a insignia and it was just plug and play no programming for it at all:eek:

#32 ·
It's one thing that annoys me a lot, that Vauxhall feel they have to cripple their own products. If it's there, and it works properly, it should be turned on.

This is one thing I'm really hoping for from the developers of vauxcom, that they will tackle variant programming for the J. The way they release stuff is very haphazard though, you'll hear nothing for months and then all of a sudden they'll bring out two big releases, one after another, with all sorts of surprises but will leave out one essential component :'(

It STILL can't do the later GIDs and some CIDs, and is really cr*p with the Corsa D, hence I've bought a tech2.

They have a lot of catch up work to do before getting round to the Astra J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.