Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car 7 days now and I'm yet to see any better than 33 mpg I drive 15 miles to work most of wich is straight flat roads I have tried it in 5th and 6th with cruise control on at around 60 to 65 mph with it on normal mode not sport and it just won't do any better

Any suggestions I'm stumped thought I'd see at least 40 mpg it isn't the be all and end all for me however as I didn't buy it for its eco freindlyness but it would help.also thought it wad worth finding out the facts incase its a side effect of a bigger problem

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
That is low for the 1.9 lump mate.

I do 16 miles to work each day and I'm getting 42mpg which I think it low.

Have you reset the trip at all?

Also try the pedal test and check for any fault codes, could be an underlining issue.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Clean the egr and Map sensor

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
Do about 37 miles most days doing the round trip to work and back, ans avg 44.1, get nearer 48 if I don't give it the beans every now and then.

First port if call would be the condition of the swirl flap bar and the area surrounding it, sine that's what's mostly causing the low mpg.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
707 Posts
I get just over 40mpg (41.5 fluctuating to 42.1 according to the display in the car) in normal town & A road driving, and 50+ when taking it easy in 5th or 6th.

Non Sport mode, btw.

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
the 1st thing to do is work out your MPG manually and see what you are actually getting over a full tank

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
I get just over 40mpg (41.5 fluctuating to 42.1 according to the display in the car) in normal town & A road driving, and 50+ when taking it easy in 5th or 6th.

Non Sport mode, btw.
:( I've never got 50+. Took the car down devon a couple of weeks back, nice steady drive and managed 48 max!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I started with the easiest fix first I reset the mpg average comsumption reading and jumped on the motorway I did 9 miles at 70 mph in 6th gear with cruise contol on I am now getting 45.5 mpg does this seem about right to you folks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
:( I've never got 50+. Took the car down devon a couple of weeks back, nice steady drive and managed 48 max!
I suppose realistically that's about what I get as you have to drive on other roads to get to the motorway in the first place, and of course, unless you're on totally flat roads then hills are always going to do mpg damage. If it were solely a long drive on a motorway, not stopping or getting held up and taking it easy (60 to 65mph ish mph) then mine would definitely show 50+ mpg.

Thanks for the help guys, I started with the easiest fix first I reset the mpg average comsumption reading and jumped on the motorway I did 9 miles at 70 mph in 6th gear with cruise contol on I am now getting 45.5 mpg does this seem about right to you folks.

9 miles at a steady 70 would be about 45-ish in mine too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
400 miles to a tank for me but i like using sport mode as that was what the car was made for.. might aswell own a cheap tdi banger if your worried about mpg costs..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
400 miles to a tank for me but i like using sport mode as that was what the car was made for.. might aswell own a cheap tdi banger if your worried about mpg costs..

I bought it for its performance ivwas just conerned that only doing 33mpg on a steady drive may be highlighting a more serious issue, don't take the concern on face value if it only did 33mpg and that's all it was meant to do then I would of still bought it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Na should do more than that mate mine stays at around 39mpg on the trip all the time but my sport mode is never really turned off

·
Registered
960 Posts
Mines sat on 45.5 do roughly 14 ish miles to work and back mostly A roads with mixed at the weekend. Again sport button on i find it worse without tbh as i have my foot right down to get it to go

·
Registered
840 Posts
Dont be too worried. Mine does approx 27-35mpg local driving. When im cruising on the motorway probably do about 40mpg. Mine was better before I started messing about with the stuff like using wynns egr cleaner in the air intake. Since then its got worse or it could be the EGR blanking plate. Got to be one or the other thats caused my mpg to go down

·
Registered
707 Posts
Remember you'll kill your gearbox if you hoon around in Sport mode all the time (especially booting it in 1st and 2nd).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts