Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on the motorway at the weekend in my 02 1.8 sri and ended up behind an 03 2.2 sri, i was sat behind him for a mile or two until the car in front of him moved into the middle lane, he then accelerated and started pulling away so i thought id put my foot down to see how much he would pull away and to my suprise he was only very slowly pulling away but i was more or less keeping up with him and he was probably a couple of mph faster. i then realised that i had gone from 70 mph to.....well, lets just say it was a naughty speed:eek: so i slowed down a little.#

i thought it was quite dissappointing that it wasnt as quick as i thoughtit would be....., ah well

·
Registered
103 Posts
he might not have been going for it though. i know when i accelerate from 70+ i very rarely use full power.

there must be a reasonable difference between the 2. i drove both the 1.6 16v and 1.8 16v a few weeks back and there was a noticable difference.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
doesnt the 1.8 have a better gear ratio ???

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Yeah the 1.8 revs quite high at motorway speeds due to the close ratio gearbox, you'd be surprised at how well a decent 1.8 can keep with the 2.2's (Y) the 2.2 have a totally different ratio setup to the 1.8.

If you were both in fifth gear and full throttle the 1.8 would easily keep with the 2.2 at those speeds. Again just due to the 1.8 revs being so high at 70mpg and the 2.2 revs being lower at that speed.

Also another factor is the BHP of the 1.8 and 2.2, the 1.8 is supposed to have 123BHP, but many have been rolling roaded as standard and have been at 140BHP. The 2.2 is meant to be 144BHP, again some have made 160BHP on the rollers others have made 130BHP. All depends if you have a good un (Y)(Y)

James

:)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Another my car is fast thread with comments of street racing.

Thats not what this site is for, if you want to brag like this do it on your local cruise site!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont think mine is any more than 123 bhp.
i was wondering if he was fully putting his foot down but he did do it to accelerate away from me when he was clear to.
ah well, i wasnt trying to raced the guy, just wanted to see how much i could keep up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Troops

My mate has a 1.8 sri and ma 2.2 leaves it behind, i dont need to put the foot down as hard to go. a love ma 2.2, but a should have got a turbo :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another my car is fast thread with comments of street racing.

Thats not what this site is for, if you want to brag like this do it on your local cruise site!
oi d1ck
read what i wrote, im hardly bragging that my "1.8" is fast, he accelerated so i thought id see how much quicker HIS was and was suprised that mine was keeping up, THEN i realised the speed we got to so I slowed down.

i never once mentioned i was racing so keep your comments to yourself please and READ the thread properly before trying to make me look bad.....arsole :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Grammer police please :lol::lol:

So you were "keeping" up with him, but not racing on the motorway. Can i ask what the difference is there?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats not what this site is for, if you want to brag like this do it on your local cruise site![/QUOTE]

You say "thats not what this site is for" now correct me if im wrong but its a site for people who own ASTRA'S and i see that you own.......................... a seat ibiza :sus:

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
oi d1ck
read what i wrote, im hardly bragging that my "1.8" is fast, he accelerated so i thought id see how much quicker HIS was and was suprised that mine was keeping up, THEN i realised the speed we got to so I slowed down.

i never once mentioned i was racing so keep your comments to yourself please and READ the thread properly before trying to make me look bad.....arsole :thumbs:
He may have misread your post but could have left the name calling out to behonest(Y)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well id be stupid to race a car with a bigger engine that is quicker, im not a 17 year old kid with a 1.2ltr engine and an exhaust who thinks he can beat anything.
are you telling me that you have never put your foot down on a straight when you had the chance?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Jeez another reason why I am thinking of leaving the site, because no one can post a thread these days, without it being attacked in some way. :(:(

James

:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He may have misread your post but could have left the name calling out to behonest(Y)
yeh i could have but he was looking for an arguement ha ha, this guy is very opinionated, iv seen his posts before and found him rather amusing but this time he picked a fight with me for no reason:confused:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You still havent answered my question :)

And yes i have put my foot down............and accelerated up to 70 on the motorway.

But racing or "keeping up" is a different matter!

And the kid point, by the way you post i am having serious doubts that you arent

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well id be stupid to race a car with a bigger engine that is quicker, im not a 17 year old kid with a 1.2ltr engine and an exhaust who thinks he can beat anything.
are you telling me that you have never put your foot down on a straight when you had the chance?
there is your answer.

what do you mean "by the way you post"?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
wow this is not rite

i didnt see any harm in his post at all.

but mate back to your post you will find that your car will keep up to a point as its got a mint gear box...

but dont be naughty at all lol

·
Registered
707 Posts
The both of you should get down to Trax in september then have a little "quiet word" with each other, soon find the men from the boys.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The usual 'do gooders' make me laugh. Every forum has them.

On the road quite a big power/torque difference is needed to leave other cars standing, as it were.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts