Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey

Yesterday i got in my van and turned the ignition on to hear a increasing buzzing noise that got to a stage and stayed at that noise level untill i turned the steering wheel and the tone of said noise changed then went back up.
I started the van and at first the power steering wasnt working but slowly started to work again after i set off driving.
I stopped the van turned it off and the noise went from the high pitched buzzing noise down to nothing.
Took it to my mates garage and he said its the steering pump making the noise.
Anyhow went home got in it this morning to find a flat battery :confused:

Any ideas as to what it actually is and what is causing it ?

Gaz

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
im going to take a shot in the dark and say could be steering pump, but with a flat battery aswell maybe i would say alternator best check with a multi-meter, im sure the power steering is always powered by the alternator belt etc...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Electric power steering on the astra, though you may lose it if the alternator fails. When mine failed (dti, not cdti), it had a high idle around 1100rpm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The idle is as it should be well not at the minute it isnt as the battery is flat as a pancake lol
The noise im thinking is the steering pump getting upto speed then when i set off there is no power steering for i would say 10 seconds then it slowly comes back. From what i have read im thinking the alternator is at fault but im no mechanic so im going to get my mate who owns a garage to drop test the battery and alternator today if that doesnt work then im unsure as to what it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts