Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice from someone who has been here before..... hehe...

I am looking to buy a 2015 Astra for my daughter, and found a Cat N at, as you would expect, a decent price.

The seller says it was a car park hit.. but has no pictures.

Looks like it has had a new upper and lower grill and the bumper cover has had paint repair - does not look like it has been fully painted.

However, the gap between the bonnet and bumper cover is a bit wide and badly aligned nearside/offside - and you can see some of the red clips - see attached photos.
Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Water Automotive mirror

I get the feeling the seller has repaired it on the cheap...possibly they are in the trade and done it themselves.

The rest of the car looks excellent and very clean and low miles and of course...cheap.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to close the gap - is this a sign of a damaged landing panel or the plastic panel that sits infront of the landing panel?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi Guys

I am looking to buy a 2015 Astra for my daughter, and found a Cat N at, as you would expect, a decent price.

Looks like it has had a new upper and lower grill and the bumper cover has had paint repair - does not look like it has been fully painted.

However, the gap between the bonnet and bumper cover is a bit wide and badly aligned nearside/offside - and you can see some of the red clips - see attached photos.
View attachment 36683
View attachment 36684

I get the feeling the seller has repaired it on the cheap...possibly they are in the trade and done it themselves.

The rest of the car looks excellent and very clean and low miles and of course...cheap.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to close the gap - is this a sign of a damaged landing panel or the plastic panel that sits infront of the landing panel?

D
If you want to see the damage to it before.. do a 'vcheck' salvage check it is only £2 i think and will show you images from the damage when it was at auction (likely copart)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
Given as you havent bought it definately do this check ... it will also check mileage, owners etc similar to HPI, it is very good

·
Registered
Astra j estate sri
504 Posts
Hi Guys

View attachment 36683
View attachment 36684

D
This should be how looks on mine

Passnger side
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

driver side

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Grille

No red clips on mine astra j

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to see the damage to it before.. do a 'vcheck' salvage check it is only £2
Thanks for that link.. I have not seen that site before and getting salvage photos is excellent...and at a great price.

I am not sure this car will be listed as the guy said it was theirs when it was damaged at "Tesco's" - feels like he may have fixed it... but not forthcoming with info... and if it was yours when it got damaged I am sure any owner would take photos of it on their phone.

Normally I would walk away when a seller was appearing a bit shifty... but the car does look clean and straight expect for that gap. There is no sign that airbags were deployed - I can imagine doing a dash swap being a royal pain and squeaks and rattles for evermore.

D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for that link.. I have not seen that site before and getting salvage photos is excellent...and at a great price.

I am not sure this car will be listed as the guy said it was theirs when it was damaged at "Tesco's" - feels like he may have fixed it... but not forthcoming with info... and if it was yours when it got damaged I am sure any owner would take photos of it on their phone.

Normally I would walk away when a seller was appearing a bit shifty... but the car does look clean and straight expect for that gap. There is no sign that airbags were deployed - I can imagine doing a dash swap being a royal pain and squeaks and rattles for evermore.

D
It wont be a cat N then if it was done privately.. hes probably bought it from auction and repaired it? Cat N means it went through insurance.. although he may have bought it back. You will be able to tell from how long his name is listed as an owner. Why dont you do the check as i suggested?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Is the V5C also in his name or is he only giving you the green slip. Anotber tale tale sign it was bougbt from auction if its not in his name /address

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here photos
Oh thats red clip....mines hard to see unless have bonnet open,

Thanks for posting the photos - that is very much appreciated and shows just how out of shape that front end actually is.

I am struggling to see how they have the red clips showing so badly there - as it looks like the bumper cover does not screw to the landing panel and its the red clips between the plastic tray infront of the landing panel that connects to the bumper cover?

Do the red clips attach to the bumper cover or some other panel behind it?

I have searched Google and found exploded views but they are not clear as to what fixes to what here.

Perhaps I should just walk away!?!?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos - that is very much appreciated and shows just how out of shape that front end actually is.

I am struggling to see how they have the red clips showing so badly there - as it looks like the bumper cover does not screw to the landing panel and its the red clips between the plastic tray infront of the landing panel that connects to the bumper cover?

I have searched Google and found exploded views but they are not clear as to what fixes to what here.

Why dont you do a vcheck and see if you csn actually see the old damage

·
Registered
Astra j estate sri
504 Posts

Do the red clips attach to the bumper cover or some other panel behind it?

No problem...looks like red clip put in wrong it, by looking my photos red clips is behind the bumper

Can you take a photo of yours bonnet open?, dodgy repaired

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this video show the red clip
Thanks - so that makes me think its just the bumper cover that is not pushed back enough... but you wonder why unless something behind it prevents it moving and they just balanced out the kit against looks...

Does not appear difficult to fix though, which is a positive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts