Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a year 2013 Vauxhall Astra powered by the 1.7 CDTi 16V (110PS) ecoFLEX engine, the manufacture's code is A17 DTC.

I have recently become aware of a new sound after engine start, the car runs perfectly fine as far as I can tell but there is an alarming screeching/whistling sound from what I believe is the drive belt. The noise is continuous, whether idle or in motion, and continues until the engine is warm after which the noise dissipates and the engine sounds perfectly refined again.

I wish to ask if anyone is familiar with this sound on the diesel engine? In addition, would this fault be considered a warranty job, a general wear-and-tear item or just a disagreeable characteristic of the Isuzu engine?

I would like to add that the engine has covered 66,000 motorway miles - I believe the guideline cambelt interval is 100k or 60 months?

Any insight is gratefully received and I welcome all feedback.

Cheers

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I have a 12 plate 1.7 130PS with 30,000 miles on the clock and have noticed this noise too.
The noise is the same as you have described however mine does not occur at idle, it appears to only occur between maybe 1400 and 180 rpm and has usually disappeared by the time I have driven to the top of my street (probably 1 min from starting)
This only happens when the engine is cold, I assumed it was something to do with the fact the engine apparently limits available torque when the engine is cold to protect itself (according to the owners manual anyway) however in the back of my mind I always think it sounds like either the turbo is on its way out or something to do with the drive belt and its runners was squealing.

The noise is not bad enough to cause me major concern yet (and im usually very cautious over random engine noises) however i'm not sure if its getting worse or im just getting paranoid. I was thinking of calling in at my local vauxhall garage on the way home from work one day and inquiring as I can't find any information specific to this engine online.

Craig

·
3,902 Posts
Mine's an 11-plate 1.7CDTI 125 with 33,000miles. I can't say I've heard anything like you describe. Also as far as I can recall I don't think we've had any other members on here report such a noise yet... but maybe someone will chip in and correct me...

·
Registered
310 Posts
The 1.7 cdti engine is not the quietest engine at low speeds and when idle. It does get quieter as you drive faster, but you get used to all the engine noises after a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this site and joined because I find my coolant tank completely empty with no warning lights? I am worried incase I damage the engine? I hope someone can give me advise because the garage could not find a leak?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi all,

Drive belts screaching whether at high revs or all the time simply means the belt has become worn and not as tight on the drive pullys as it used to be.

Check the inside of the belt that drives the alternator, if it is not to shinny where it has been slipping or cracked, just tighten the belt by loosening the alternator adjustment bracket and levering the alternator out slightly to take up the slack; or change the belt for a new one...simples.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've recently had a belt tensioner replaced at approx 30k miles on same age/engine, I could hear it squeak somewhat on cold start in colder temperatures but the biggest giveaway for that particular problem is a rattling noise when accelerating hard from low revs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've recently had a belt tensioner replaced at approx 30k miles on same age/engine, I could hear it squeak somewhat on cold start in colder temperatures but the biggest giveaway for that particular problem is a rattling noise when accelerating hard from low revs.
Is it a big job to replace the tensioner? I havn't noticed any rattling on hard acceleration but the squeal when cold is definitely there.
Do you think its worth just getting the major service done early replacing the belt and water pump?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello

I have a year 2013 Vauxhall Astra powered by the 1.7 CDTi 16V (110PS) ecoFLEX engine, the manufacture's code is A17 DTC.

I have recently become aware of a new sound after engine start, the car runs perfectly fine as far as I can tell but there is an alarming screeching/whistling sound from what I believe is the drive belt. The noise is continuous, whether idle or in motion, and continues until the engine is warm after which the noise dissipates and the engine sounds perfectly refined again.

I wish to ask if anyone is familiar with this sound on the diesel engine? In addition, would this fault be considered a warranty job, a general wear-and-tear item or just a disagreeable characteristic of the Isuzu engine?

I would like to add that the engine has covered 66,000 motorway miles - I believe the guideline cambelt interval is 100k or 60 months?

Any insight is gratefully received and I welcome all feedback.

Cheers

Joe
Hi

I realise this post is quite some time ago but just wondering did you ever find out the exact cause of this. I have a very similar thing to what you describe but with a 1.4 petrol turbo engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts