Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Im not sure if my car has always done this but when pulling away in 1st gear my gear stick moves back about 1cm -2cm. It only happens in 1st gear and apart from that it runs smooth.

Could this be something to worry about? i have a 58 SRI 1.9 CDTI

Many Thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yep. Gearbox almost certainly on its way out. Get it checked out. If so It'll need fixing before it falls apart. Got mine done at Longbridge gearboxes in Birmingham. He did a top job.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Your clutch won't thank you, but in theory, yes. I wouldn't hang around getting it looked at though. These can go quickly an catastrophically. My bearings fell apart when the gearbox end plate was removed, so I was told by Longbridge gearboxes.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Pulling away in 2nd will make it worse as it will be the 6th gear bearing that is worn, 1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th are on the same shaft.

Pulling off in 2nd will put even more torque on the 6th bearing making it fail quicker.

My advice, pull off slowly, change up at 2K revs and only really accellerate in 3rd & 4th. Don't cruise for long periods above 70mph.

I did 26,000 miles doing that on my worn 6th bearing.

If you ever feel it slip like clutch slip, park up as quickly as you can as the bearing is about to implode because it is that worn, once the rollers are rattling around the box, damage is being done to the cogs and new box time.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Trying to think what causes the gear linkage to move while pulling away, that cant be a bearing issue.
Gear linkage is connected to the internal selector. With bearing wear, the shaft inside the box will move up and down as power is applied. This moves the selector ring, which in turn feeds back to the gearstick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah mine does the same thing, i also thought it was the cable untill i read this thread, let me know what vauxhall think mate.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts