Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I bought a MK5 astra yesterday (54 plate Elite) and it was absolutely fine, no trouble codes with the pedal test and no engine management light.

Tonight the little car with a spanner light stayed on when i started the car. Turned it off then back on, and it disappeared. When i did the pedal test i got some codes though, and from reading it doesnt seem great. The codes read ecn161450, then ecn161600, then ecn000000. Everything seems normal with the car, and the lights are both off now (Spanner light and Engine check light).

Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be before i venture into Vaux Motorbodies and ask them to take a look at it?
From what ive read it seems like CIM would need replacing, but the people who have said this also say they have problems starting their car, which i have not had.

Really would appreciate any advice you guys can give.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a petrol 1.6. Sorry should have included it in the first post. Why don't worry about them? Have you had this happen before too?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Its a petrol 1.6. Sorry should have included it in the first post. Why don't worry about them? Have you had this happen before too?
Its been happening with most 1.6s.
Go to dealer and say about the recall and explain your problems and they should replace the cim under the recall if they are not to big headed but most i think have been fixed with a update.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
whats the engine got to do with the cim recall?

id start off by phoning the dealer and asking them whether there are any recalls outstanding on the car.

out of interest, have you tried using the horn with the headlights on?

·
Registered
953 Posts
whats the engine got to do with the cim recall?

id start off by phoning the dealer and asking them whether there are any recalls outstanding on the car.

out of interest, have you tried using the horn with the headlights on?
I have seen more 1.6s with this than any other thats why. Im not saying it just 1.6s it can happen to any.

P1614 Immobiliser Wrong Signal Received Immobiliser B-008

P1616 CIM (Steering Column Module) Wrong Environment Identifier Immobiliser B-006

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blink - there was a service done in January and the paperwork says no outstanding recalls. Ill go down to the one by work tomorrow though and see what they're like, hopefully they will be willing to help. No i havent used the horns with the light on. Why? Is this a known issue?

Cobray - Thanks. Thats the same info i found when i was looking around. It seems like they may be able to do a software update to fix this, but i dont understand why paperwork states no outstanding recalls if its a known thing :S

·
Registered
953 Posts
Blink - there was a service done in January and the paperwork says no outstanding recalls. Ill go down to the one by work tomorrow though and see what they're like, hopefully they will be willing to help. No i havent used the horns with the light on. Why? Is this a known issue?

Cobray - Thanks. Thats the same info i found when i was looking around. It seems like they may be able to do a software update to fix this, but i dont understand why paperwork states no outstanding recalls if its a known thing :S
Most places wont bother with it if it dosnt cause any problems with the car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So in your experience Cobray, this doesnt get any worse? I think ill go down there tomorrow at lunch for peace of mind, and see how helpful they are feeling. Is it wrong to embelish the truth a little and tell them the car has troubles starting in order to force their hand? :p

·
Registered
953 Posts
So in your experience Cobray, this doesnt get any worse? I think ill go down there tomorrow at lunch for peace of mind, and see how helpful they are feeling. Is it wrong to embelish the truth a little and tell them the car has troubles starting in order to force their hand? :p
Could get worse if other problems appear because it is the cim. Act dumb an see what they say. The recall dont even cost the vauxhall garage but they might try the usual tricks to get money.

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Absolutely nothing to do with it being a 1.6...

If this happens again, simply take the key out and try again. I have this every now and then on my 1.9. I had the clip fitted from the CIM recall as soon as the recall was announced, but the issue has started since then. Doesn't personally bother me that much to be honest so I've not got it looked at :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
Absolutely nothing to do with it being a 1.6...

If this happens again, simply take the key out and try again. I have this every now and then on my 1.9. I had the clip fitted from the CIM recall as soon as the recall was announced, but the issue has started since then. Doesn't personally bother me that much to be honest so I've not got it looked at :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Never said it was just that it had happen to the 1.6s more.

Try a new battery maybe as well incase it near done.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
you can tell if the cim recall has been done as there will be a dot of blue paint on the back of the steering wheel.

the horn thing is a known issue, and should be repaired free of charge

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that blink. Ill have a look for the dot and lunch and try out the horn with lights on. Ill also take it down to Motorbodies and see how much they will charge to look at it as i'd rather get it sorted before it goes any further.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
i would be careful about spending money on it like that just yet, with it being intermittent, it will be hard to find.

the blue dot is on the back of the bit that is near to the plastic ignition area, you will need a torch to see it.

if the horn doesnt work, then vauxhall will fix it which should fix the other problems too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got to take it to get the cambelt done anyway as its at 58k and not had it done, so i thought i could ask them to look at it at the same time. Never been to a proper Vaux place, but most garages offer some kind of a car checkup to see if anything else is wrong at the same time. I guess Vaux probably charge for that? And since the codes are stored, surely they will know the problem?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Dont you nt legaly get 14 days to return even through private sales?

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
i dont think they will go searching for faults, and if a non-vauxhall garage identified the fault with the cim, they would want to charge you for it. Also, if they cleared the fault codes, then vauxhall would have no evidence of the cim fault during the recall work, if it was done.

isnt the cam belt interval 100,000 miles on the 1.6 engine?

and if you bought it from a dealer, or garage, then you will have some comeback on them for any repairs needed

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car was a private sale, so no warranty or help of any sort. The reason i thought the cambelt was due was the guy that sold me it said it was due at 60k/6years, and that he had no proof of it ever being done. I've just done a search online and it seems to depend on the engine, so ill have to check my engine code unless you know offhand what it will be? I hate getting new cars and knowing nothing about them. Thanks for all the help and advice though :)

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
the engine code will be on a small card in the leather pack, and the intervals are in the users guide, some were 40k, some 60 and some 100k. Mine is 100k, but i will be getting it done soon, its done about 63k

1 - 20 of 29 Posts