Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a green box and k&n panel filter on my 1.9cdti 8v astra van, what else can i add tuning wise?
Also where can i get a silicone induction (airbox) hose from? all the ones on ebay are for 16v 1.9's?
Thanks

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
I have the 8v with a simota carbon charger induction kit and Eco3 green box.

I think the induction hose is the same for the 8v and 16v. I've emailed Roose Motorsport about a silcone hose kit, which they should be making in the next couple of months.

Next step for me is a pre-cat pipe and cat back exhaust. I made 169bhp/262lb/ft at a RR the other week, so with those bits I'd hope to see 180bhp.

Perhaps a FMIC (same as a 16v) would be good, but I think these are better mapped in rather than boxed.

It's nice to speak to someone with an 8v, there's not many on here :lol:

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
There isn't very much at all, but essentially the engine is the same, except for the 8v head.

I know my car is only 1 of 349 1.9 SXi's :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been looking into this, apparently the injectors are good for 190ish bhp - airbox same as 16v, fuel pump same as 16v, exhaust same as 16v, which seems good enough for that power, it is missing the FMIC from the 16v, and it does have a slightly smaller compressor wheel than the 16v.
Modified turbo and optionally FMIC, 190bhp job done hopefully

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
you'll be lucky to get 190 from the 8v, 170-180 sounds quite reasonable, the problem with the 8v is getting enough air to burn the diesel that is going to be injected. so yes the injectors are good for 190, but your going to be asking a lot from an 8v head.

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
I've been looking into this, apparently the injectors are good for 190ish bhp - airbox same as 16v, fuel pump same as 16v, exhaust same as 16v, which seems good enough for that power, it is missing the FMIC from the 16v, and it does have a slightly smaller compressor wheel than the 16v.
Modified turbo and optionally FMIC, 190bhp job done hopefully
As far as I know it has the same FMIC as the 16v, the turbo is the same too (Y)

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Fit bigger injectors and notch down your box. Simota. Pre cat. Turbo back.
Should seea good improvement (Y)

·
A dieselhead..
2,827 Posts
same route as tuning a 16v tbh.. but for the level of tune compaired to the 16v it will be 30 odd bhp behind iirc.

i swear i remember someone who said they had a hybrid/intercooler/exhaust on an 8v and was around 200bhp.. but i cant remember which forum i read it on lol :\

·
Banned
638 Posts
As far as I am aware the compressor or the turbo is identical, as is the turbine but the exhaust manifold is a different shape.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Although the 8v turbo is also a 1749VM, the compressor has a smaller inducer, same exducer, turbine the same, but the downpipe v band exits at a different angle.

I was sure the 8v had the full size FMIC, but on my 56 reg its not unfortunately, its the same as the 1.7 one.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I think the 8v are 120bhp detuned versions 16v is the 150bhp version.
Some are. There was a small period where vx couldnt keep up with 8v's so they slammed in detuned 16's. Lucky if you have as a map will take you 120 up to 180-190bhp!

·
Registered
506 Posts
silly question but how do you no if its an 8v or 16v ?

I think the oil filler cap is on the left hand side of the engine as you look at it (so drivers side) on the 8v and is on the opposite (right/passenger side) of the 16v.

There is a photo somewhere in a thread showing a picture of a 1.9 8v 120 and a 1.9 16v 150

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as I know it has the same FMIC as the 16v, the turbo is the same too (Y)
Just to let you know the turbos are not the same the manifold turbo housing is the same if u wish to go bigger turbo u would need to swap the turbo from a 16v 150bhp take the intake side and turbine from the 150bhp and put it into ur 120bhp manifold u will need to adjust the intercooler pipe slightly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts