Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I'm new to the world of diesels but I've decided I'm having one next im sorry of this has been repeated a lot but I can't find anything I've heard issues with the 1.9 Sri 150 gearboxes swirl flaps etc is it worth taking the risk and getting a 1.9 or stay away and perhaps look at a 1.7? Sorry if this had been repeated etc don't shout at me :( haha

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
get either, just make sure it comes with a good warranty :lol:

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
And here we go again.

Yes, the 1.9's have their issues... but what car doesn't have any issues? Just make sure the one you buy has a good service history and check the obvious faults, and you should be OK.

Think about how many have been sold over the years in comparison to how many you see with faults.. and just remember people often come to forums to find solutions to their problems, so you'll see a lot more people with faults, but there are plenty out there running without issue.

My 1.9 CDTi 150 is on 170,000 miles and has had some issues, but hardly any of the majors :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Agree with the above. Make sure you get some warranty or buy from someone who you know and can trust. Since buying mine its been taken back with a loud clunking noise when starting the engine and a oil leak from the gearbox. I have also had to book it back again for sometime next week due to an annoying squeal.

From reading around when buying mine I found that the 1.7 tend to have less problems than the 1.9.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See that's the reply I was looking for haha cheers :) sorry for being a noob but I'm putting a lot of money into this car as I'll have it for a while so I wanted to be sure :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
A 1.7 I noticed was a lot cheaper on insurance but I had difficulty finding a decent 1.7 sri with low mileage so I went for the 1.9.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The insurance isn't too bad on the 1.9 for me considering my age and points so im happy with that :D but I know what you mean there isn't many 1.7 sri's out there especially with the xp kit which is what I want but there's loads of 1.9s!

·
A.O.N - Club Member (Nige)
17,684 Posts
all cars have their problems, and all repair bills will keep going up and up because of the complexed way they are built these days and everything being a ballache to get at. Luck of the draw I'd suggest. There are plenty of people with bramd new cars who have endless issues. just get a warranty and take someone who knows something about cars when you view one

·
Premium Member
40,693 Posts
Agreed, look on any car specific forum and you'll find faults (Y)

Stop worrying and get what you really want to get (Y)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all cars have their problems, and all repair bills will keep going up and up because of the complexed way they are built these days and everything being a ballache to get at. Luck of the draw I'd suggest. There are plenty of people with bramd new cars who have endless issues. just get a warranty and take someone who knows something about cars when you view one
Good advice and well I'm a mechanical fitter but I'm not too clued up on cars I work on a steel works so I'm more into plant machinery than cars but I know a few good mechanics:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed, look on any car specific forum and you'll find faults (Y)

Stop worrying and get what you really want to get (Y)
Haha Iam a worrier though :/ ha only vehicle I've had which never broke down was my my bike I had at 16! Ha

·
Registered
21 Posts
had my 1.9 18 months, bit of a schizophrenic car, can be a nice, gentle cruiser when you're not in the mood for some fun, but hit that sport button and it transforms it, brings a huge smile to my face. Yep, I've had the gearbox bearings done but that's not put me off for a minute, love it, you won't be disappointed. Just make sure you search on here for the checks before buying............

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know what you mean about the smile I've been a spin in my mates remap and decatted 1.7 and that's rapid! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts